Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Laughter Really IS the Best Medicine
Caprice_WebMD_Staff posted:
So what makes you laugh? What movies? What kinds of jokes? What friends, situations, etc.?

And what other strategies do you use to cheer yourself up?
You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
~Christopher Robin to Pooh

melisfit responded:
My pets make me laugh all the time. They do such silly things. they are a constant joy.
My favorite funny movies are Young Frankenstein, Some like it Hot and Arsenic and Old Lace.
Not crazy for jokes. A lot of times I don't get them. but mostly the one's I'm told are about me being dumb.
When I really need to cheer myself up I try to do something nice for someone else. Like visit the nursing home and bring some candies. Candy always gets people talking. They tell me about what used to be their favorite and that usually leads them into telling me stories about their childhood. But if I'm still feeling really sad Nathan will pop in a musical like Mary Poppins or Sound of Music. It's hard not to sing along and smile.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to melisfit's response:
Wow, it's great to 'meet' someone who likes some of the older movies. So few people I've met even know what the heck Arsenic and Old Lace IS. LOL

People using 'jokes' to put you down are just putting you down. My ex-husband used to do that as did my mother. I didn't find them funny either and I believed for a long time that I just didn't have a sense of humor (because they told me so). I've since learned I love to laugh at myself (when I'm doing the joke) and make my friends laugh all the time, etc.

How lovely that you take those candies in and get them talking.

Yup, Mary Poppins and Sound of Music would do the trick.
You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.

marysings replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
When I need a lift, I love to watch Fiddler on the Roof. I love the relationship between Raptavia and God. I wish I could have faith like he had in the movie.

Another good one is Dr. Zhivago. All the old Barbara Striesand movies are great. Same with some old TV shows. I always loved to watch The Flying Nun.

Yep, many old movies, TV, and music was great.

I'm strong willed and I tell it like it is. I make mistakes, I'm sometimes out of control, but I love and give with all my heart. Have patience with me as I heal.

slik_kitty replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
my favorite comedies are the old ones with lucille ball, bob hope and danny kaye. they just don't make them like that any more. the long long trailer. the court jester. and what's the one where bob hope plays the dentist? i googled it, the paleface. fancy pants. to name a few. lol

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to marysings's response:
Fiddler on the Roof is one of my favorites, too Mary. I will rewatch it now and then too. It's so rich and poignant along with being pretty funny at times.

I haven't seen The Flying Nun in ages!

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to slik_kitty's response:
I love Danny Kaye. What fun choices you have, Kitty!

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am broken but I don't like others to know because I fear they won't look at me as strong as they see me now. I don't understand why I am...More

Helpful Tips

An Answer to Why does my chest alway hurt?
I am a survivor of sexual abuse plus others. When I was 8 I started to experience overall chest pain. At 9 I went throught a medical review ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 11 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.