Skip to content
May is Mental Health Month!
Caprice_WebMD_Staff posted:
What do you wish others would/could understand about what it's like to struggle with mental health issues - whatever they may be - whether your own or that of members of your family?
You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
~Christopher Robin to Pooh

marysings responded:
I wish the people who want to help "fix me" would simply leave me alone.

I wish I could say I was healed. I have conqured the abuse incidents but I feel like a worm, only worthy of being stepped on and squished into the ground.

I wish people who ask "How are you?" really want to know. I am programed now to say "fine" and then walk away. They aren't looking for anything more than that - being fine and disappearing into the crowd, being invisible.

Mary
I'm strong willed and I tell it like it is. I make mistakes, I'm sometimes out of control, but I love and give with all my heart. Have patience with me as I heal.

healingmychild responded:
I wish that they really could put my shoes or get a better understanding of my mental issues (like read about the causes of sexual abuse.That they stop saying get over it or let go and move on.Yes I have to do this but when I am so stuck in this swamp and dont have the energy.I just wish it could all go away instantly but its taking me awhile.I wish people would think first before they speak and give comments that don't help.I struggle with my self esteem and it really makes it difficult for me to look ahead and make plans for me.Like thinking what do I want to do with my life.It has been hard to keep a job do to physical illnesss and emotional too.I just wish that people that say or have said they would "support" would actually come around and say hi how things going, show concern.I have been left to deal alone and people that where close to me.Its like they just stay away its too difficult this issue sexual abuse?Very difficult for people to understand the mental ussues.
Healing
~I am entitled to my own truth.~
There's more than anger,more than sadness,more than terror.There's Hope ~Edith Horning

Jade2012 responded:
I wish people could understand what its like to have depression and anxiety and just how much of a struggle it is to get out of bed some mornings. I know a few people who think depression is controllable.....they think that its all in my head....they say "just be happy." These people don't think that depression can be a chemical imbalance or that it is hereditary. My mother-in-law was surprised when Kelly was diagnosed with depression, anxiety, PTSD. She said "Hmmm, what do you suppose is making her sad?" She doesn't understand what a childhood trauma can do to a person that impacts the rest of their life.
In helping others we shall help ourselves, for whatever good we give out completes the circle and comes back to us. - Flora Edwards

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
I really want to thank you all for your very thoughtful responses and insight.

I hope others will chime in too.
You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
~Christopher Robin to Pooh

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am broken but I don't like others to know because I fear they won't look at me as strong as they see me now. I don't understand why I am...More

Helpful Tips

my story - in part anyway
I had always been asked if I had been molested and always answered no. Then, after a hysterectomy at 36, I was once again asked, only this ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 13 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.