Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
I don't know if this will be triggering
melisfit posted:
Please Read with Caution

I really don't know if this will be triggering for anyone and I don't want to risk upsetting anyone.

So many of you have been doing therapy for a while and I'm wondering if this is normal or if there is something a little wonky going on, I don't trust my feelings and I hesitate to bring it up with Nathan until I'm certain because he really likes him and thinks he's been helpful (we're both seeing him separately and then together). I'm sure its all in my head, and its just because its so awkward to talk about this stuff with a man. He always wants to talk about really embarrassing things( i know that's his job), but he always wants so much detail, much more than I even allow myself to think about....it kind of creeps me out. When the sessions are over, after he assigns my "homework", he always hugs me and tells me I'm a good girl and a very beautiful girl. And that Nathan is a very lucky young man. I'm sure that he's just comforting me and being kind. But those are things that both my dad and Pastor Tim would often say to me. I'm just being paranoid. Right?

DOGDANCING_TCOS responded:
A therapist should never touch their client. The only acceptable contact is a hand shake on your initial intake session and another on your closing session.
I'm not really a psychopath, I just play one on the internet.

marysings responded:
Every once in a while Dr.B will do a side hug with me. They are not regular and usually saved for those difficult sessions when I've been able to conquer something really difficult. Side hugs are permitted but NEVER front hugs!

I firmly believe your therapist is out of line asking for minute details of your life. You might continue your marital counseling with him, but I would never darken his door for personal counseling. You can just explain to Nathan that you want to seek a female counselor because you feel uncomfortable seeing your current counselor one on one.

Mary
I'm strong willed and I tell it like it is. I make mistakes, I'm sometimes out of control, but I love and give with all my heart. Have patience with me as I heal.

Spotlight: Member Stories

When I was 4 or 5 my family lived in Turkey. My father was in the Air Force and stationed there. I remember a neighbor boy. He was about 12. He would ...More

Helpful Tips

Are you having posting problems?
With all the posting/not posting problems, try these: 1. Copy your post/response BEFORE clicking on "post" 2. If the "can't post now" ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 6 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.