Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
How do you "unsee" something? *TRIGGER*
HappyMe78 posted:
I am not necessarily "new" here. The first time I ever posted here was over 7 years ago. I still come back from time to time to check in on those of you who are still here. Who I am is completely irrelevant to this post, so I'll leave it alone for now.

My 'story' began over 20 years ago - and I have worked really hard for the past several years to get myself better. I am happier and stronger than I have ever been, but I am not beyond being triggered by something I hear or see...which is what brings me here today.

As ridiculous as this might seem, I watched a movie a couple nights ago that has left me unable to think of anything else. I want so badly to go back and "unsee" it...or at the very least, figure out how to get it out of my head. The movie was Straw Dogs - not sure if any of you have seen it, but if not, I wouldn't recommend watching it. I have never seen anything like it - and had I known it contained a particularly detailed, intense rape scene, I would have avoided it entirely. Never have I seen something like it - something so realistic - something I could so closely relate to. It brought back so many feelings I thought I would never feel again. Every time I close my eyes or have a quiet moment, those pictures are in my head - the ones I thought I had erased. I keep having the same dreams - the ones I thought I wouldn't have anymore. It's like reopening a wound that has long ago healed...

So, without going into too much detail, I suppose I just needed to somehow share this with someone else. I could share with my husband, but I prefer not to lay all this on him. He has dealt with enough over the past several years and I don't feel like it is fair for me to interfere with his happiness just for the sake of getting this off my chest. So, how DO you make it stop? How DO you "unsee" it?

I don't know...I guess I just needed to vent...of course, any advice is greatly appreciated...?

DOGDANCING_TCOS responded:
Buttered toast.

That is the "unsee" technique that I learned.

this will short and flat - got injured in car accident and arm still healing. so if i don't explain it fully, ask for clarification.

You need to substitute another image for the one you saw.

FOOD works best for this....I choose butter.

when you find yourself thinking about the images physically stop yourself and say allowed your substitute image. the close your eyes and imagine it,remember what it tastes like, smells like.

return to what ever you are doing.

image pops up. Stop and repeat all the steps

do this every time you are bothered with popup-flashbacks.

you can also add some verbal coaching too..."It was acting in a movie" or something like that. "You're safe, that was acting you saw, she wasn't raped"

will take time/practice but you can force the images off the top of your thought patterns.

key is to use something that has small/taste/tactile stimulus/a sound (used to roll out the imagery to putting sizzling melted butter on popcorn) adding those senses helps over ride a one demential image memory.

Re-engage you brain in another direction.

welcome back to the board

Peace be the journey

Paja
I'm not really a psychopath, I just play one on the internet.

HappyMe78 replied to DOGDANCING_TCOS's response:
That's a new one...nobody has ever suggested anything like this before. However, it sounds like it just might work. I mean, I might gain a few pounds, but ANYTHING beats these pictures in my head! I can usually handle movies with slight sexual violence - but that one was just so realistic - the way she reacted to it and the way they just left her there when they were done with her - it was just so REAL to me. See...here I go again...

Thank you for the suggestion - I mean, seriously, thank you. That you took the time to respond means the world to me! ;o)

Spotlight: Member Stories

When I was 4 or 5 my family lived in Turkey. My father was in the Air Force and stationed there. I remember a neighbor boy. He was about 12. He would ...More

Helpful Tips

Are you having posting problems?
With all the posting/not posting problems, try these: 1. Copy your post/response BEFORE clicking on "post" 2. If the "can't post now" ... More
Was this Helpful?
5 of 7 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.