Skip to content
Caprice - How do you know how to choose a community
niteflier posted:
Hi Caprice, I have been in several communities and there are a few more that I have experienced. I am asking you because you have been in most. Any recommendations on one that covers all or most mental health issues?
It is hard enough trying to keep up with the community discussion (having to refresh after each post) I don't think I can manage moving from from community to community on a regular basis.

depression
SH/anger
Phy/sex abuse
adhd
ptsd

to list a few.

Thanks for listening.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
Hi Niteflier,

We don't have an overarching mental health community because the individual issues tend to need more focus and so we have a few varied ones, some we created, some created by members.

So it's a good idea to pick two or three which make the most sense for you. ADHD is so specific that you should stick there. As you have issues applying to this community and to the SH community, stick with those, knowing that most who post on either of the latter two have probably also dealt with depression and/or PTSD, whereas not everyone who is depressed has dealt with sexual abuse and/or self harm or ADHD.

Does that help?

You can also join those communities and find them under your communities on the left. They will bump themselves up when there are new responses. And/or you can watch individual discussions and get email notifications of any new responses to help you catch anything you miss when you look in.

Why are you refreshing after each post? When you post within a discussion and go back to the main page, it will usually be displayed there. But you're right in that there can be a bit of a delay in that display but that doesn't mean you should constantly have to refresh. If your post is within the discussion itself, it will show up on the home page soon.
You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
~Christopher Robin to Pooh

niteflier replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
Thank you Caprice, I have been in several rooms. Did not comment in all.

Not a good day so I'll try the rooms another day.

I have been trying to deal with these issues for a long time and when I put it in writing or talk about, it seems to make it worse

Perhaps I made a mistake thinking I could do this.

As with words, once posted, it cannot be unposted -.

Thank you again, I hope you have a great weekend

Apologize for taking up your time. Perhaps I will see you another day.

niteflier replied to niteflier's response:
Caprice, I forgot to mention that by 'refreshing' i mean I click on 'home' and only then can I see new posts.

Thank you again.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to niteflier's response:
You didn't 'take up my time', Niteflier. You don't have to talk it all out here. You can say as much or as little as you need to. Just know we are here for you whether you're quiet or otherwise. And that you're not alone in all this. (((safehugs)))
You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.

thank you Caprice, (hope no offense taken about taking up your time - i just feel if i cannot commit once starting something, i have just wasted the other persons time.

the other day I was asked about growing up I have a lot of empty spaces in time - those that are not empty, not so good.

I lied (don't know if it was because of shame and/or not wanting to share) and said it was good growing up (I think it was a 'generation' question ... i.e. our generation.... what about when you grew up) I had a panic attack, took meds, changed the subject.

Thanks again for your kind words. I will hang around for a while - see what the next day brings.

Hope you are having a good weekend.

I expect many here have felt the same on all counts.

I know that I have gaps and it used to embarrass me and confuse me until I figured out WHY I had such gaps.

[trigger> if what i remember is not good, i am sure i do not want to fill in the gaps. when i think about it i get angry so i just think of a brick wall and breathe. it helps most of the time. i am afraid of the day my anger escapes. Not so much for myself but whoever is around me. heart racing just thinking about it.

how bout them green bay packers (subject changer....lol)

i am sorry for not using the 'trigger' in the other room. wasnt thinking it could affecting others.

Getting into a panic, should go now.

Thanks for the ear.

No worries about the trigger warning; every member at one time or another on these particular boards has forgotten to include that or just didn't know they should. It's all fine.

Walls tend to get taken down one brick at a time rather than all at once but there is no rush. If done within a therapeutic environment, the emotional fallout can be contained. But you never have to go beyond your own pace. Just know that those things are still impacting you even if they're behind that wall.

Good visualization and breathing though.

*giggle* re the Green Bay Packers! I like them and a few other teams and enjoy NFL football more than Canadian football (where I am) for various reasons.

Keep breathin', slow and deep.

Spotlight: Member Stories

Hi, I have no idea how to use a site like this but hopefully I'll catch on quick. lyI am looking for support from other adults dealing with being ...More

Helpful Tips

An Answer to Why does my chest alway hurt?
I am a survivor of sexual abuse plus others. When I was 8 I started to experience overall chest pain. At 9 I went throught a medical review ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 11 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.