Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
people can be so mean
melisfit posted:
they say such mean things to me and then just laugh, like I'm too dumb to understand they're making fun of me. I really don't even know most of them very well. How can they dislike me so? I never want to host a party ever again.

marysings responded:
Mellie,

There has been a sorority in our town and I always wanted to join. I hinted enough to one of the members and she brought my name up for a vote (they were replacing someone who left town). I did not get chosen for the sorority. A few weeks later my husband and I went to eat with a couple and she happened to be in the sorority. Somehow the sorority came up and she looked at me and said they had voted on someone who was more popular. I was embassed and she just went on chatting about the sorority.

And I told Albert that I wouldn't be a part of that sorority EVER!

One of the sorority ladies was in the store a few months ago and Albert repeated what the lady said to me. She was furious with that lady and said they had never chosen other women based on their popularity.

And like you have just described, it hurt.

I kind of like the Thumper rule (from Bambi). If you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all.
I'm strong willed and I tell it like it is. I make mistakes, I'm sometimes out of control, but I love and give with all my heart. Have patience with me as I heal.

melisfit replied to marysings's response:
thank you, Mary. I knew some of his close friends/teammates would say mean things followed by "you know I'm just teasing you", and I was prepared for that. But I really didn't expect the girls to be so mean. Most I haven't even seen since I stopped going to school in 5th grade. I guess I should have been ready for it. They weren't very nice even then.

dustnbones99 replied to melisfit's response:
Sorry that you've experienced this. I'm fat so i tend to get a lot of abuse from total strangers which makes no sense to me. These people seem to really hate me for no reason i can understand. I'm pretty sure mean people are broken in some way. It's actually kind of sad. Imagine always feeling so angry and full of hate.

melisfit replied to dustnbones99's response:
Dustnbones,
I'm sorry that you've had to endure such meanness from total strangers. Maybe you're right and the mean people are damaged. If so, I feel sorry for them. But it doesn't make it hurt my feelings any less.

dustnbones99 replied to melisfit's response:
Yes, I know it still hurts. I was just thinking about something that happened years ago. I went to a girl friends wedding and sat at a table with a bunch of women i didn't know. They were all "work friends" of the bride. They spent the whole day saying really awful, mean things about her. They all seemed to feel that she was way too fat and ugly to have snared a prize like her new husband. I guess he was the guy in the office everyone wanted and they were all jealous. They totally ignored me, never even said hello, and i was too shy to speak up or defend my friend. I'm sorry i didn't say something.

I'm sure that these women all lacked something basic. They couldn't even enjoy a nice night out with friends. It's was a sad thing to witness. Years have passed and i'm sure they're even more unhappy and bitter now.

Spotlight: Member Stories

My 6 yr. old daughter was sexually abused by her father on a week-end visitation, shortly after we separated and I filed for divorce. After she told m...More

Helpful Tips

my story - in part anyway
I had always been asked if I had been molested and always answered no. Then, after a hysterectomy at 36, I was once again asked, only this ... More
Was this Helpful?
9 of 12 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.