Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
physical therapy and triggered state don't mix
DOGDANCING_TCOS posted:
I went digging through boxes yesterday looking for a drawing, stumbled upon therapy note books and stupid me glanced through them. Yup still highly triggering,

over slept today and had to race to make it to my physical therapy appt, there was ZERO time to properly ground prior to the session. It took all of 10 min before I lost it.

I have this restlessness roaming around in me. I am not sure where its coming from. Its a very foreboding creepy feeling.

bleah....
I'm not really a psychopath, I just play one on the internet.

az330 responded:
I totally understand where you are coming from. I was also in an accident and have been doing physical therapy and massages....They have been quite triggering for me. It takes everything in me to stay in the present.
What grounding techniques help you?
I am sorry you have not been well. Hang in there.

AZ

DOGDANCING_TCOS replied to az330's response:
  • ************* possibly triggering ******************************* **** ************************** *********************** ***************** ****

I am a co-conscious multiple, so prior to any physical touching its very important that within my system we are in full agreement on WHO is going to get touched.

Having only been awake 25 min before PT touched my arm, I was groggy and still not fully awake. There was only time for me to wake up enough to dress/grab daughter/drive down there. Parts of me wake slower and it was like being awoken and finding someone in your bed, and that was all it took to send all of me to flashback land.

My usual routine to ground is this:

be wake. ALL awake. Wash my face with cold water, and look at myselves in the mirror, eye contact very important, grounds me up and out of bed.

Do some body walking. A skill I learned in hypnotherapy. Focus on your breathing, become in tuned to how your chest moves, roll your shoulders and focus on the muscle moving, flex arms, hand, fingers etc. This helps me to connect and bring all the body into the picture. (hard to do if you are dissociating, so its a good reattachment exercise.)

Put something in my mouth that is loud. Peppermint life saver, cinnamon gum etc. Use all your senses.

Lotion my face and arms. I also touch my legs and arms belly, sides etc. so that the first touch to me is by me, so its safe and non threatening.

I always make sure I look any doctor, nurse, physical therapist in the eyes BEFORE they touch me. Call them by name, reinforcing that this is who they are and what there doing in my life right now.

With this PT I was able to find a picture of him on line before I met him. It was a big help to look at the picture multiple times prior to our first session. Kind of familarizing my selves with him.

after the sessions I always look at my eyes in the mirror and ground myself before I leave the office. (eye contact, cold water on my hands/neck)

In the past I used to plan after therapy activities too. Most important was to NEVER race home after therapy. Linger and walk slowly from your appointment. This sets up the tone to your body and to your anxiety, that this is not something to run from, this is okay and safe.

I hope you are recovering from your accident faster then I am....garrrr....I have no patience for pain any more.

Peace be the journey

Paja
  •  
    DOGDANCING_TCOS replied to DOGDANCING_TCOS's response:
  • ******************** *************************** **************** ************************************ ***************************
    another thought,

I also tell people ahead of time if I am worried they will trigger me. I let them know that I have issues with being touched.

"I had an abusive childhood, I have issues with being touched. Please stop if I ask you to, so I can collect myself."

You also have the right to ask them to tell you before they touch you.

"please give me the courtesy of asking if I am ok before you touch me"
  •  
    DOGDANCING_TCOS replied to DOGDANCING_TCOS's response:
  • ************ possibly triggering ******************************* **** ************************** *********************** ***************** ****

actually the therapist handled it well. He pulled my arm forward towards his lap and I was gone. I heard MaryQueen tell him, "this isn't your fault, give us a second to get control."

He backed off and gave us space, stayed there long enough to assess the situation and them left so we could have privacy.

When he came back he asked what happened.

I was shoved forward as spokes person. I took a deep breath and explained, "I had a horrific childhood that left be vulnerable to getting triggered in certain situations."

He responded, "fair enough" and very slowly got back to work, taking time to explain what he was doing even though we have been working together 8 weeks and I know the routine.

I spent the session on red alert and totally on edge and very jumpy. I felt drugged and spacey as well as highly dissociated.

He is a young PT and I hope at the very least he used the experience to learn. I don't think I have ever had a public reaction like that before outside of counciling. It was...sad.
  •  
    az330 replied to DOGDANCING_TCOS's response:
    I have my PT and massage later on this afternoon. My massage therapist is very kind she keeps me in the loop of where she is going to touch me. We have a safety word. Its hard to stay present and focused. sometimes I feel myself slipping into a flashback or start to panic really bad. Thank you for the advice. I need to try something new.

AZ

slik_kitty replied to DOGDANCING_TCOS's response:
    sounds to me like you handled it well. you have a good pt there. hugs

Spotlight: Member Stories

I was SA by a friend of my father's when I was 8. He watched us for a little while one day when my father went to get parts to fix a car. The craz...More

Helpful Tips

my story - in part anyway
    I had always been asked if I had been molested and always answered no. Then, after a hysterectomy at 36, I was once again asked, only this ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    9 of 12 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.