Skip to content
TRIGGER recording the past
DOGDANCING_TCOS posted:
  • ************ ******************** ******************************* **** ************************** *********************** ***************** ****

Sunday I went looking for a drawing in my boxes and found a therapy journal and stupidly read some of it.

One piece in particular set me off. It was from the time my T was having me document any / all memories I had/was having surfacing.

They were VERY painful to write out and see in black and white. I shared only a small handful with my T, most were to just purge it from my mind.
    I mentioned to my husband I needed to do something with my journals."Like what?" he asked.
    "I don't know, throw them out?, collect them all in one box and seal them up so I don't stumble into them without being ready to see them? something...I don't really want our kids to read them by accident"

After calming down I realized I can't throw them away. They are a part of my medical record. And as such I need to retain them.

I need to find them all and seal them in a labeled box so getting into them is a fully conscious decision.

the one that set me off though, I need to go have another look at. As I read it the CoS shifted restlessly within and when I competed it Ste commented. "that is not what happened, your dialogue is backwards."

This episode I had put from my mind so re-reading it was very ambushing.

When all the stirred up stuff calmed down and I thought about it. I think Ste is right. It does sound like I assigned my words to my brother.

Why would I do that? why would I lie to myself? my T never saw this paper.

There was a line in my teen years when the incest changed from inappropriate sexual contact to abuse. We never really dug too deep into that in therapy. I think this memory is the dawning of that change. I am concealing the truth, I attempted to alter the facts.
    It was a part of the gradual realization that what was going on was wrong. That I knew it was wrong.
    sad sigh.
    I'm not really a psychopath, I just play one on the internet.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
    (((((softsafehugs)))))

I hope the time at the coast helps to soothe this latest pain. I know how this can be.
    You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    ~Christopher Robin to Pooh

lovely_lemon_tree replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
    I'm sorry to hear that Paja.

I also have my journals... but I think I do need to put them into a sealed, labeled box for the same reason. Going back through them was massively triggering -- I was fishing through them, looking for things to tell my therapist. She. of course, said that journals from years ago are a therapist's dream, but of course we both know that I should just put them away for good.

I have many volumes, but people keep giving me extra volumes. I think I will clean them out and then give them out at my NAMI group to anyone who wants one.

((Paja))

DOGDANCING_TCOS responded:
    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%% %%%%%

I am sorry I spoke out of place. By putting those disgusting words in your mouth I could no longer hear him saying them too us. Your voice I can tune out, his I cannot. That time that place was very very aweful. If you choose to read that again, please have onsite support for me, I can't deal with what is there lurking under the surface.
    I am standing too close to you, I have never experienced the memories like this before, I am very very triggered and scared.

Ste

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to DOGDANCING_TCOS's response:
    We're here for you too, Ste. It's now many hours later and I hope you're okay.
    You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
    ~Christopher Robin to Pooh

DOGDANCING_TCOS replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
    I am okay Miss Caprice.

Ste

Spotlight: Member Stories

Only three people in my life know my story and they don't even know a fraction of it truth be known. For the moment that's the way it has to b...More

Helpful Tips

my story - in part anyway
    I had always been asked if I had been molested and always answered no. Then, after a hysterectomy at 36, I was once again asked, only this ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    9 of 12 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.