Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Book Lovers Day
Caprice_WebMD_Staff posted:
I thought some distraction might be in order so, since today is Book Lovers Day, I'm wondering what books are among your favorites, now or in the past?
You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
~Christopher Robin to Pooh

marysings responded:
Lots of favorites from the past. Nancy Drew comes to the front of my mind right away.

Just received my package from Amazon: Fifty Shades of Grey, Fifty Shades Darker, and Fifty Shades Freed. We'll see if I like the books. I've got to do something to stop my apprehension about renewing the intimacy with my husband. From what I have heard about these newest books, they will help. Interesting - can't wait to get started.

He's been patient and now I am ready but scared. Scared of having a flashback, scared of him moving too fast. Just scared. It's at the top of my list to talk with Dr.B next week.

Mary
I'm strong willed and I tell it like it is. I make mistakes, I'm sometimes out of control, but I love and give with all my heart. Have patience with me as I heal.

writejessss replied to marysings's response:
  • smile* Mary, your mention of Nancy Drew reminded me how inthralled with the Trixie Beldon series I was for a while there. I'd almost forgotten they even existed. Thanks for bringing that to mind for me. It is funny how much happy can exist in silly little snippets of memories like that. I really needed the reminder that there are those memories sprinkled in the midst of the less pleasants. Seriously, thank for that Mary.
  •  
    writejessss responded:
    Current- anything that is NOT a research journal or text book

Past- Sammy the Seal was one of my favorites, not sure why. I did buy me a copy of it a couple of years back though- it was fun to reconnect with that book.

One of my favorite books when I was younger and even now is the Secret Garden. The idea of being able to retreat to and come alive in the safety of a secret garden of my own has been a positive one for me throughout and has been instrumental in portions of my healing journey.

Thank you, Caprice, for starting this thread. It has reminded me how much reading has been an effective coping strategy for me that I've used since I was little. The ability to escape reality for a while into another found in a book has been a godsend. I think it is time to pick up another good book.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to marysings's response:
    I don't know if you're aware of the approach the Grey books take on sexuality, Mary, or not. Just be careful, and if they're not up your alley, there are many different kinds of these kinds of books. And hey, you may like them and they may help. Good luck rekindling things with your husband.

I loved Nancy Drew as a kid too. Never owned one so always borrowed from a friend.
    You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to writejessss's response:
    I sometimes go back to childhood favorites (or new books created for 'youth') when I need an escape from the world. Some of them are so well-written!

Reading has always been a coping strategy for me too.

melisfit replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
    my fave is Black Beauty. Always has been and probably always will.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to melisfit's response:
    Still one of my favorites too, Melisfit.

marysings replied to writejessss's response:
    Yes, I loved Trixie Beldon too!!
    I'm strong willed and I tell it like it is. I make mistakes, I'm sometimes out of control, but I love and give with all my heart. Have patience with me as I heal.

Helpful Tips

Are you having posting problems?
    With all the posting/not posting problems, try these: 1. Copy your post/response BEFORE clicking on "post" 2. If the "can't post now" ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    4 of 6 found this helpful

Report Problems to the
    Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.