Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Mental Illness Awareness Month
Caprice_WebMD_Staff posted:
October is Mental Illness Awareness Month. What does the phrase 'mental illness' mean to you and what do you wish society understood about mental illness?
You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
~Christopher Robin to Pooh

marysings responded:
Mental illness means our brains are mixed up. We need TLC but we won't ask for it. We don't want sympathy, we don't want snoops. And...We didn't ask for mental illness.

We are just like them except we have hard wiring gone awry.
We aren't freaks.
We won't tell our secrets to anyone but our therapist (leaving out WebMD).

And we are tired. Very tired due to the "act" we sometimes have to put on every day. Tired of trying to act normal and then realizing we are often a dismal failure.

Tonight I am a failure. I am nothing. I have no more to give and can't define what I need.

Mary
I'm strong willed and I tell it like it is. I make mistakes, I'm sometimes out of control, but I love and give with all my heart. Have patience with me as I heal.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to marysings's response:
Never a failure, Mary. Not ever. ((((softhugs))))

I hope you got some rest and today is a better day. That act CAN be wearying, I know. As you continue to heal and live more simply and authentically, it gets easier and easier.
You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.

arthurian replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
MarySings is very close to how we have been thrust forward for unforgiven feelings and now we regress back to finding where our emotional needs were stripped from us before we understood them. Now your questions about mental illness have delivered us to wondering if the abuser was mentally ill and the victims have chartered a course to new horizons of wellness and answers we all need..somehow.

tnmist responded:
To me, the phrase "mental illness" means:
- I'm defective.
- A less-than.
- 100 other descriptions that are all negative.
- It means maybe I can be treated but never cured.
- It means I can never have a legitimate physical ailment because doctors inevitably assume that any complaint I have must, of course, stem from the illness in my head.

Yes, as already stated it does mean working endlessly for "normalcy" or acting normal and being exhausted from trying.

I could go on and on, but who would read this anyway?

As for what I wish society understood about it? I wish society did not believe that title makes me one-dimensional. There is more to me than a mental illness, just like there are many parts to every human.

healingmychild responded:
Mental illness is a disease like many people suffer in this world. This illness is a "stigma" because alot of people think that its a sign of weakness in a person. Its very sad that they think this way. When I first was diagnose with Major depressive episodes and mood swings alot of my family couldn't understand and instead of helping they would hurt and not be supportive. I have struggle with the bipolar for years but I have over 7 yrs in care of a psychiatrist the same one and I see her on regular basis to check in. My medication is the same and over all I haven't had a major breakdown since 2005. So I believe in taking care of your mental illness if you suffer and you can live a normal life. I support this awareness and I wish there was more education at schools and public about this mental illness that usually who suffer are people like us that have been sexual abuse as children. They go hand in hand. There needs to be more facilitys for people to learn about this and more support to those who are suffering now.
~Healing
~I am entitled to my own truth.~
There's more than anger,more than sadness,more than terror.There's Hope ~Edith Horning

Caprice_WebMD_Staff responded:
I really want to thank all of you for your very thoughtful responses. They have really made me think.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I'm a mother of two grown sons, have a great daughter-in-law, granddaughter and grandson. I have fibromyalgia and by the early/mid 90's tha...More

Helpful Tips

my story - in part anyway
I had always been asked if I had been molested and always answered no. Then, after a hysterectomy at 36, I was once again asked, only this ... More
Was this Helpful?
9 of 12 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.