Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Distraction Action
Caprice_WebMD_Staff posted:
What a week it has been for so many areas in North America! I hope that any who were in Sandy's path are okay. It's good to see so many checking in here.

1. Wherever you are, how's the weather today?

2. What's the best thing about the state (or province) in which you live?

3. What thing or activity gives you comfort? If you don't have something, maybe it's time to find something.

4. What kind of music helps you?

5. Are there tv shows or videos which help you escape for a little while? When was the last time you watched them?

You are cared for here. All of you. Thank you for taking care of each other through some of the most difficult of times.
You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
~Christopher Robin to Pooh

az330 responded:
Good Morning All-

1.The weather today is in the low 90s. Not a cloud in the sky!

2. The best thing about Arizona? I guess the weather we will stay in the 70s-80s thru the winter season. I also love the sunsets. Everything you can turn into a picture.

3.Any activity? That is a hard one. I used to like to go for walks in the evening but my health right now makes it more difficult to do that. I feel like the medication makes me sick so so much. Maybe it is time to find a new one!

4.Calm soothing music helps me to relax. -Classical really helps my mind to escape for a bit because you can picture something different with each melody.

5.I would say my favorite tv shows are The Middle and Modern Family. They make me laugh even if I am having a bad day. Its been a couple weeks since I have watched them.

Thank you Caprice for the nice encouraging words. I know I often forget that I am cared for. Its been such a tough road to this point. I am sorry that I havent been able to come on more often. Some days i just dont have the energy.

AZ

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to az330's response:
I'm just glad to hear from you today, AZ. (((hugs)))

I hope you find a medication that doesn't make you so sick. Classical music and Modern Family and The Middle - good choices!
You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.

tnmist responded:
Yes, thank you for your encouraging note and also for putting these "distraction actions" out there, very aptly named.

1. Sunny today, in the 50s, very nice switch from the last couple of days, which have been damp, gloomy, and chilly.

2. Hard to pinpoint a best thing, but I love the change of seasons (grew up in FL and hated it there, except for the beach), and I love the mountains. Each season has its own beauty, and I enjoy experiencing that.

3. Lately I've been doing a lot of coloring, yes, coloring books and crayons, not just for the sake of coloring, but I use that to vent my emotions through the colors I choose.

4. I, too, enjoy classical as the most soothing, or specifically this one set of CDs of scripture songs (no, it isn't children's music) which helps calm my spirit quite a bit. But when I just HAVE to take care of household chores that I have neglected for too long already, I use faster, fun music to keep me going.

5. Lately I've been watching old Dick Van Dyke shows on Hulu because I'm so sick of crying, and they make me laugh.

I hope others are able to answer, too. I enjoy getting to know all of you out there who have been such a wonderful support to me already.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to tnmist's response:
Glad you're getting some sunshine, Misty. And I think I would miss the changing seasons if I lived in a warmer climate. Coloring can be very soothing/healing; I know you're not alone in finding that.

Sometimes those old sitcoms are just what we need. I'm glad they're still available.

melisfit replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
It was sunny and 60 degrees today
My pets bring me comfort
Can't think of any music that helps me
favorite tv Once upon a time

tnmist replied to melisfit's response:
Ahh, yes, I'm very grateful for my pets, too (most of the time).

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to melisfit's response:
Hi Melisfit,

Here's a little tidbit for you... I've often been to the town Once Upon a Time is filmed in.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to tnmist's response:
Thank goodness for pets.

melisfit replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
Caprice,
where do they film it? It looks so beautiful.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to melisfit's response:
The town and surrounding area are in Steveston, B.C ., outside of Vancouver.

The forest scenes are probably done anywhere in the surrounding area. We have a lot of those, including some old growth forests, and some of them are VERY close to Steveston and Vancouver.

We also have a lot of movie studios in the area so interiors and special effects, computer imaging, etc., can all be done in the area.

Spotlight: Member Stories

I was molested by 3 relatives. All of this occured when I was just 7 and younger. Two were male, one was female. Two were repeating abuses that had/we...More

Helpful Tips

An Answer to Why does my chest alway hurt?
I am a survivor of sexual abuse plus others. When I was 8 I started to experience overall chest pain. At 9 I went throught a medical review ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 11 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.