Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Anger management
tnmist posted:
Anyone have a suggestion on a healthy way to release anger besides exercise - something more focused on venting? My therapist gave me 3 rules: I can't hurt myself, my pets or my property. I reassured him that I wouldn't, but I'm about ready to go buy an axe and find some wood to chop or something (after drawing or naming the wood, ha), but that really isn't me. I feel stuck. Coloring with red crayons isn't enough. And I've smashed plates (spare/discarded) in the past, but I lost my plate-smashing space. Would love to hear suggestions. Thanks so much.

-Misty

DOGDANCING_TCOS responded:
try this.

Go stand in a hot shower. warm your chest up for a min or two, then with the water pointed at your chest, switch the water to ice cold. stand as long as you can. Then switch it back.

The energy you feeling tensing up your muscles, knotting up your soul CAN be released safely.

Your body is physically forced to refocus on the tactile assault of the water. It is forced to expend that energy to rewarm/try to keep you warm. Repeat as necessary till your body is free of the tension.

Then go wrap up in a blanket and rest. Self sooth your hurting soul by saying..."Its okay, its okay, I got you." (doesn't matter if you believe it or not, you have to start reprogramming the internal tapes somewhere)

I guarantee you, done correctly this will refocus you and quickly to boot.
I'm not really a psychopath, I just play one on the internet.

tnmist replied to DOGDANCING_TCOS's response:
I will have to work up the courage to try that one. I know there are benefits to the hot/cold water treatments (immune system, for one thing), and I have attempted them in the past a little. Thank you for the tip.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to tnmist's response:
I know one of our members here years ago used to often talk about taking a plastic baseball bat to pillows. That doing that helped her deal with the overwhelming anger.

I used to write and write and write, and it wasn't always coherent and often filled with profanity. Pages and pages of it.
You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.
~Christopher Robin to Pooh

tnmist replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
I'm afraid of opening the dam of anger.

friedeggs replied to tnmist's response:
video games any type of physical type of games, it is silly but it works

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to tnmist's response:
I know what you mean, Misty. I hope you find a way to let it out within a safe environment, starting small, perhaps in therapy.
You're braver than you believe, and stronger than you seem, and smarter than you think.

Caprice_WebMD_Staff replied to friedeggs's response:
Another good idea, friedeggs!

I used to love going in to some games and mindlessly killing.

friedeggs replied to Caprice_WebMD_Staff's response:
but it does not have to be those types of games, there others that do not involve killing. it real is a good stress buster

tnmist responded:
I appreciate everyone's input. Thank you very much for the ideas.

-Misty

Spotlight: Member Stories

Caution!! This could be very triggering to read! . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . My father sexually abused me from...More

Helpful Tips

An Answer to Why does my chest alway hurt?
I am a survivor of sexual abuse plus others. When I was 8 I started to experience overall chest pain. At 9 I went throught a medical review ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 11 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.