Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
coloring as therapy (triggery?)
DOGDANCING_TCOS posted:
There is no greater therapy tool than coloring. SA can leave ghoasts in your soul/head that simply can not be translated into words.

Young SA victims don't have the advance vocabulary to speak about what is/was going on.

A lot of therapist discount this tool. Others use it open up communications with possible non-verbal parts of clients.

One session my T just spread out a large sheet of paper and we sat on the floor only communicating in drawings.

Some of my memories are hard coded as colors, and temperature extremes.

"how are you today?"

"green"

"So your having the red dreams again?"

"yes"

I like to describe the therapy process as this. A new client shows up and just frantically scribbles black crayon all over the four office walls until they are spent. Making the room black.

They turn to T and ask, "What will healing be like?"

T picks up two small tooth brushes and says, "we clean the walls till enough light shines in to allow you to breath, then we work at clearing enough of the crayon to allow growth. We won't make the walls white again, but we can allow for breathing room and growth until you are at a point of healing that you can just grab a can of paint and cover what remains and make this room your's again."

'Peep' circa late 80's when therapy had returned some sanity to my head.
I'm not really a psychopath, I just play one on the internet.

lovely_lemon_tree responded:
Wow, I wish I had the ability to express my feelings without the need for pre-drawn lines or boundaries. I pretend to be artistic by working on oil paint-by-numbers for adults, but I wish I could create my own work like you do.
We must be the change we wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Ghandi

DOGDANCING_TCOS replied to lovely_lemon_tree's response:
you can finger paint, or use playdoh there are many ways to speak with no words. Paint-by-numbers works also. Gawd I loved those! especially the horse ones!

My son used cookie tins with sides on them with flour (sometimes rice) in it to draw designs - patterns in with his fingers.
I'm not really a psychopath, I just play one on the internet.

bluerose90 responded:
Wow DD... You're really good.

I try to do some sketching. (Still teaching myself how to do that. Slowly moving from stick figures. lol) I used to write alot, it helped me to get it all out of my head, but I haven't been able to do that much lately. I just stare at the paper in front of me or the computer screen and nothing comes. *Shrugs*

Rose
Where there is shadow, there is light.

tnmist replied to bluerose90's response:
Wow, that's a great way to describe it. Yes, colors speak a lot for me sometimes. I have finger paint at home, but I haven't used it much. Not sure why.

I, too, am trying to draw a little, although, I just don't have any natural ability, but I work at something until I can get the expression I want to achieve. I've managed to draw the semblance of someone curled up into a ball to express pain, and have learned that less is more, that is, sometimes less lines can still bring about the results I want without a lot of detail. Right now, though, I rely mostly on COLOR to convey my meaning.

Thank you for sharing your drawing! I am very impressed.

To Rose - I know what you mean about writing. I've had to move to a different medium, and I'm someone who used to write a lot.

Misty

Jade2012 replied to tnmist's response:
Interesting....I, too, haven't been able to write much down in my journal for quite awhile. I wonder why. ?? Guess I don't have anything else to say right now.

I have taken up crocheting again...making a shawl. Its a simple project (I really am just beginner level and have been since I was a teen). I find it very relaxing.

Coloring? I haven't done that in years. You and DD have inspired me so that I am going to stop at the craft store on the way home after work and get something I can color!

Peace to all of you,
~Jade
In helping others we shall help ourselves, for whatever good we give out completes the circle and comes back to us. - Flora Edwards

Helpful Tips

An Answer to Why does my chest alway hurt?
I am a survivor of sexual abuse plus others. When I was 8 I started to experience overall chest pain. At 9 I went throught a medical review ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 11 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.