Skip to content
Strange Trigger
bluerose90 posted:
Is there anyone else here that can be triggered by a word or phrase? I don't know why but I was taken by surprise last night when I was triggered...

Someone told me a phrase (that would normally be a great compliment) and it triggered flashbacks. It took me quite awhile to calm down.

Honestly, I don't know why I'm posting this here. I guess just rambling on a bit.

Rose

The site wouldn't let me post without putting up a Poll Question. Why I have no idea.
" class="_mp3rocket_overlay_style" style="left: <%= overlayLeft %>; top: <%= overlayTop %>; width: <%= overlayWidth %>; height: <%= overlayHeight %>">
Where there is shadow, there is light.

Take the Poll

What's your favorite color? " class="_mp3rocket_overlay_style" style="left:
  • Purple
  • Blue
  • Red
  • Green
  • Yellow
vote
View Poll Results

tnmist responded:
Yes, word, phrase, an innocent touch (hand on shoulder), (if my dog laid against me in bed), especially hate head being touched, etc. A particular sight, sound, smell....It doesn't matter. They can all be possible triggers. Our bodies store memories using all the senses. Not strange at all, Rose. I'm sorry that happened to you.

As for poll, IDK, depends on mood, I suppose, but I favor greeens, blues, and purples. Couldn't choose one favorite, I don't think.

-Misty

iwanttostop responded:
yes, compliment especially. i spent a good part of my life trying to disappear just so people would not notice me. i finally have it down to a science. i think that is one of the reason i am comfortable on line people cant see you, so no useless compliments. i also avoid sounds, i don't know why but there are some sounds that send me into a rage.

tnmist replied to iwanttostop's response:
Compliments. That's interesting. Compliments make me uncomfortable, but haven't had that reaction. Sounds, yes. I don't understand my reaction to some sounds as well! Last year a riding mower was droning on and on in the neighborhood (across the street and down a house), and it caused the weirdest reaction. I never understood it.

Rose, I would have ignored the poll question if I had read your note better...That was odd. Hopefully a one-time glitch.

Does anyone go through periods where everything seems extremely loud?? I've had that happen sometimes. I think it's part of dissociation, or trying to, at least. Not sure.

-Misty

bluerose90 replied to tnmist's response:
Compliments always bother me too. Actually that's what had set me off.... Someone said, "You're beautiful." and right there... yeah it just wasn't good. I also tend to freak out if someone touches my hair.

Misty, no worries. I don't know why it made me do that, but it kept saying that it wouldn't post it without a poll question.

And now that you mention it... I kind of do that too. I have times where even the smallest amount of noise puts me on edge and grates on my nerves. That's very odd for me because I always have to have some kind of noise. Usually music, or I play movies while I sleep.

Rose " class="_mp3rocket_overlay_style" style="left: <%= overlayLeft %>; top: <%= overlayTop %>; width: <%= overlayWidth %>; height: <%= overlayHeight %>">

JoannaSingsForYou replied to bluerose90's response:
I definitely understand the frustration with certain compliments: it especially happens for me when a male, particularly ones I may not know, call me "Bella" or "Beautiful". Part of me finds it sweet, and part of me finds it creepy, as if there are ulterior motives behind their choosing to say those things out loud.

Loud sounds are "on an off" for me. Sometimes loud music helps me, but loud chatter, for instance, by my family while watching some TV show last night sent me moving into another room to briefly focus in quiet. I think many of you make a good point that sometimes it can be a sensory overload.

lovely_lemon_tree replied to JoannaSingsForYou's response:
I totally can't handle loud noises, either quick, loud ones like fireworks or gongs or gunfire or long, prolonged ones, like riding lawnmowers. I lived next to a man for more than three years who (literally -- I actually counted one time) mowed his yard seven times in two weeks. It drove me up a wall. I couldn't eat, I couldn't sleep, I couldn't think, it just made me crazy. (He was a cop to boot, so I could call the cops on him and make a noise complaint... though it would have served him right if I did that.)
We must be the change we wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Ghandi

tnmist replied to lovely_lemon_tree's response:
That's a lot of mowing...ya, that would have driven me up a wall. If something isn't a surprise, I'm usually okay, but I guess prolonged droning like the mower gets under my skin, which is weird because I enjoy mowing. I wear ear plugs, and I'm in my own zone, and it doesn't bother me if I'm the one making the noise. Go figure.

-Misty

bluerose90 replied to tnmist's response:
I hate the sound of a lawn mower too, even if I'm the one driving it. Lol I don't know why though.

Rose

Spotlight: Member Stories

Only three people in my life know my story and they don't even know a fraction of it truth be known. For the moment that's the way it has to b...More

Helpful Tips

An Answer to Why does my chest alway hurt?
I am a survivor of sexual abuse plus others. When I was 8 I started to experience overall chest pain. At 9 I went throught a medical review ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 11 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.