Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Ideas for "distraction action"
tnmist posted:
I'm not very good at coming up with ideas for "distraction action," but I did like those posts, so if anyone has an idea for one, please post it and let's see where it takes us...

I'll start with something simple: Now that spring should be here or is here for some of us, does anyone have a favorite flower and why?

It's hard for me to choose only one because I like flowers for different reasons, so I will list a few:
Pansies - because of their colors, they are pretty and look delicate but tough because they can get through the winter still looking pretty, and because it was my grandmother's favorite flower.
Gardenia - Grew up with them and love the smell.
Daisies - They really do seem like cheery sorts and last a good long time in a vase inside.

-Misty
FirstPrevious12NextLast

slik_kitty responded:
iris, i think they are pretty with their many colors and i love the smell, like a lemon cookie. lol

bluerose90 responded:
Umm.... Roses.... LOL Okay I really do love roses but I have a lot of favorite flowers too. I just couldn't resist that.

I love irises too. They are my mom's favorite flower and we used to have a garden full of them when I was growing up. Do they really smell like a lemon cookie SK?? Hmm... I guess I never put the two of them together. LOL

Sunflowers because they are so big and bright. I remember when my parent's took me to Wyoming one year to visit family, there were fields of sunflowers. Just acres and acres of them! I loved it.

By the way Misty pansies are one of my mom's favorites too. We always had them planted in pots around the house. Did you know that you can eat the petals off of pansies? A woman who worked at a plant nursery for years told me that when I was young and I had to try it just to see. LOL

There aren't very many flowers here at all right now since I'm in the desert. I miss green. I think I'm going to try to find some plants that I can keep inside. That might help cheer me up.

Rose
Where there is shadow, there is light.

tnmist replied to bluerose90's response:
@ Slik-Kitty: Ooo, irises...Nice choice! I never noticed that smell either! I'll have to check that out sometime.

@ Rose: I forgot about sunflowers...I love those, too. Never saw a field of them, tho. I bet that was a sight to behold!

I may have my flowers mixed up, but I think pansies used mean "remembrance." There used to be all kinds of meanings for flowers. It was quite a "message" to get flowers from a boyfriend, ha. I always found that stuff interesting.

And good idea on getting some potted plants. Just be sure none are poisonous for Foxy, right? I had moved my porch plants inside during the winter and noticed some missing leaves on one of the plants that my cat must have chewed off. Sigh. Guess it wasn't poisonous 'cuz he seems okay.

-Misty

lovely_lemon_tree replied to tnmist's response:
My favorite flowers are gardenias and roses... gardenias because of the smell (they're so wonderful!) and roses because my mom always had so many of them when I was growing up. I also really like the smell of red roses.
We must be the change we wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Ghandi

lovely_lemon_tree replied to lovely_lemon_tree's response:
Ideas for distraction action:

Places to go on a vacation
Favorite candies/goodies
Favorite carnival activities
Favorite spring activities
Things related to the season
Things related to the nearest holiday
Things related to the nearest events (Groundhog Day, Time changes, etc)
Silly questions
Questions about animals

Many more...
We must be the change we wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Ghandi

tnmist replied to lovely_lemon_tree's response:
Nice choices! I enjoy looking at roses and trying to create roses out of frosting when decorating a cake, LOL Their scent can be almost too sweet for me, but roses are wonderful flowers, too. There are so many different ones now!

BTW, LOVE your new pic,too.

-Misty

bluerose90 replied to tnmist's response:
Hey LLT it's good to hear from you! I like the new pic too. It seems we have a theme going. LOL

I have to be careful with anything that is withing Foxy's chewing reach. Lol I have to keep everything up off the floor! He's fortunate to be alive because he's taken a few bites out of the power cord for my laptop... I have to keep EVERYTHING off the floor. He for some reason reached the age of wabbit that he wants to chew on everything. Lol You know one of my favorite plants to have in my room always was? This might sound strange but Jade plants. I think they're really pretty and it's always fun to find a "volunteer" leaf that had fallen into the soil and started a new plant.

The posts just made me think of this so I thought I would add it. LOL I can't draw very well at all, not long ago I started practicing and trying to get better at it but dropped it for awhile, (I'm gonna have to start that up again.) but the funny thing is that for some reason I've always been able to do a pretty good job at drawing roses.... I have no idea why either.... Weird.

Rose

tnmist replied to lovely_lemon_tree's response:
Wow, great list. Thanks!

-Misty

Rabbits HAVE to chew, don't they, to keep their teeth from growing too long?? I don't know a whole lot about them, but I know they will gnaw anything quick as a wink...I would NOT be happy with a chewed power cord. I knew a friend who had a rabbit, which was when I learned they will do that, and which is why I've never been interested in having one as a pet, but they are very cute and soft and adorable, that's for sure!

Cats are bad enough with them knocking stuff off of anything they can jump up on - either accidentally or on purpose! My cat will occasionlly steal a receipt (paper) and it ends up getting dunked in his water dish! What's up with that? Is he part raccoon? I've walked out into the dining room and discovered his water BLUE because of the type of receipt he dragged through it.

-Misty

LOL Yes, rabbits do have to chew to keep their teeth from growing too long. The funny thing is that I give him all kinds of "safe" and "harmless" things to chew on and he goes for the power cords. I made him a hutch (which he refuses to get into by the way) out of wood that he can chew on. He does chew on it sometimes but not often. I also make sure to give him big hunks of carrot so that he has to work on it to eat it which is supposed to help too. As I type that he snuck under my chair and nibbled on my sock.... Lol Perhaps I haven't mentioned that he seems to have a strange love of hanging around my feet... He's weird. LOL

I LOVE that about cats!! Maybe it's because of how ornery my family is in general so I learned to love that quality early on, but I've always loved how cats knock stuff off your desk or whatever to get your attention. Or how they lay on something while you're reading it. That's too funny that your cat does that with his water dish! LOL My cat used to hide his toys behind the bookcase for some strange reason so we couldn't get them back out for him to play with. I have no idea why he loved to do that so much.

Rose

Foxy's love of power cords is similar to cats scratching off-limits furniture even though they have a perfectly good scratching post, ha. After I discovered my cat preferred the cheaper cardboard type of scratching disk (round thing with a play ball circling around it) instead of the expensive scratching post I bought for him, I will admit that he has been very good about leaving my furniture alone. It's all about texture with them, and every cat is different, I suppose.

Maybe that's the same with Foxy? Texture??

-Misty

It could be a texture thing for him too. I hadn't thought about it before. (BTW I think that smilee might be my favorite. ) Although he does love to chew on my clothes too... *Motions to the pair of knit pj pants that has a lovely hole in it from his enthusiastic chewing while I was distracted.* It's a good thing I love the little twerp! He is currently chowing down on some alfalfa.

Have you ever given your cat catnip?? I love how cats get when they get a whiff of that stuff!

Rose

The smilee that looks thoughtful? Yes, good one.

I have an old Tee-shirt I wear for when I clean or mow, and it has a tiny hole dead center of the chest from where I was holding a guinea pig. It did it in like 2 seconds. Ugh.

My cat is not picky about the catnip as some are and he is happy with dried catnip that he will nibble at. I sprinkle some in his bed, and he goes nuts. It's too funny. He will eat some and then roll and roll on it. Oh, happy cat, ha. Had to use the drooling smilee...When he is in my lap and petted, he purs and drools. It's disgusting, really, but what 'cha gonna do?

-Misty

Yeah, I love the thoughtful smilee. LOL

They are fast little guys aren't they! Awe! I love to give cats catnip to see how they'll react. Speaking of a drooling cat by the way, my friends cat will flop down on her little scratching box with catnip in it and just lay there drooling. I wish I had a picture of it! Lol She looks like she's saying, "Ohhhh lordy, this is good stuff!!!"

Foxy's catnip is Mango however. LOL He goes ape nuts when I give him some.

Rose

Spotlight: Member Stories

I was molested by my grand father starting when i was about 6 or 7. It went on for years. I was scared to tell anyone. Thought my dad would blame me. ...More

Helpful Tips

my story - in part anyway
I had always been asked if I had been molested and always answered no. Then, after a hysterectomy at 36, I was once again asked, only this ... More
Was this Helpful?
9 of 12 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.