Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Childhood books
tnmist posted:
I've recently been itching to re-read some of the books I read while growing up, so I visited my library today and remembered how WONDERFUL the children's section is. Has anyone else had those sorts of notions on her (or his) path to recovery?? Don't know how this ties in, really, but it must be hitting some sort of chord within me, I suspect.

Depending on our ages, we probably all have different fav childhood books, but a couple of my favorites were all the Nancy Drew books and all the Black Stallion books. Mom had all of the Nancy Drew books and kept them for years....These were yet ANOTHER thing she gave away to some miscellaneous relative instead of passing them down to one of her own kids. She did that quite a few years ago, and I was terribly disappointed because I grew up with those books and gladly would have taken them off her hands if I had only known.

I first read the Black Stallion books borrowed from the libraray but eventually had my own collection. I have moved so many times that fairly early on into adulthood I gave them away as a gift to some friend's son who had discovered them and loved them as much as I did when I was young, so I don't really regret giving them to him, but I have missed them. I always had a book in my hand, and now they are like seeing old friends! I guess that was my safe zone--getting lost in a story. I guess it's no wonder that I'm remembering them again and wanting to re-read them. Sigh.

-Misty

lovely_lemon_tree responded:
Misty,

I LOVE my old children's books! Some of my favorites were the old Misty of Chincoteague series books (I was also a horsey person ... ) as well as the Black Stallion series. I also liked the Babysitter's Club and the Sweet Valley series, as well as some of the independent books, like Mr. Popper's Penguins (the book is so much different from the movie and so much better) and Julie of the Wolves.

I spent a lot of time hiding out in my books... I almost wish I could to that again.

LLT
We must be the change we wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Ghandi

DOGDANCING_TCOS responded:
I still have quite a few of my books from childhood.

But you know what helped me best in my recover? Writing my own.

I tended to think of my childhood as a endless pit of abuse and my T's asked me to write a list of times i smiled, laughed etc.

It surprised me what I could remember. It kinda balanced out my adult abuse slanted view of my childhood. Adding in a blend of the good helped level the playing field. I found it most helpful.

I used those memories to write/illustrate childrens books. That helped to cement the good times that gave me the strength during those dark days. Knowing that countless others are reading them and laughing with them is comforting to me also.
I'm not really a psychopath, I just play one on the internet.

bluerose90 replied to lovely_lemon_tree's response:
It's funny that you should mention that Misty. I was thinking about some of the books I used to read last night.

I'm a geek so most of the books I read involved scifi and stuff. My sister used to read all of the Nancy Drew books and... what was the name... Boxcar Children... yeah that's it. I liked to read books like A Wind in the Door by Madeleine L'Engle. I loved, and still do love, books like that. Most of my teenage years were spent writing fan fiction stories. I honestly believe that they kept me from going insane for a long time. Putting my head in a place where the good guy would always win.

Rose
Where there is shadow, there is light.

DOGDANCING_TCOS replied to lovely_lemon_tree's response:
Never noticed it before but LLT you look my character Sushi in my books!

I'm not really a psychopath, I just play one on the internet.

tnmist replied to lovely_lemon_tree's response:
Yes, I had Misty of C., too, and maybe another one by the same author? I don't remember them being a series. That's interesting.

I would read any book that had animals in it (usually dogs or horses). When I was smaller, I remember reading a book called "Bessie, the Bee," all about the life of bee and a beehive. It was entertaining and informative, too, LOL. I recently added that to my book collection here at the house and re-read it last year.

I loved Black Beauty and Call of the Wild and White Fang and I had loved Julie of the Wolves, but when I re-read THAT one last year I found it incredibly sad in the end and am not so in love with it anymore. I couldn't remember much of the story but just remembered I had loved that book. I'm a sucker for a good ending, and that one is very poignant.

And I like mysteries, but, aside from children's books, I rarely read fiction anymore.

One of my all-time favorite books, a true story about a boy who never loses his faith in God and eventually is able to return to his family after being stolen by Indians way back in the pioneer days, is called Swift Arrow. Doesn't seem like it would be a girl's book, but I loved it, and I re-read it this year and still love it.

-Misty

tnmist replied to DOGDANCING_TCOS's response:
That's incredible, DD. What a talent you posses!

-Misty

tnmist replied to bluerose90's response:
Cool, Rose. What are some other sci-fi books you liked? I never delved into that too much, so my mind is blank right now. Will go Google that one your mentioned and see what that was about.

-Misty

tnmist replied to DOGDANCING_TCOS's response:
Oh, what a funny drawing! I LOVE it! Right down to the horse's expression.

-Misty

slik_kitty responded:
I loved the nancy drew books, and trixie belden and the hardy boys. plus i read every horse story that was out there. reading was my escape. i would get so lost in the books that the outside world couldn't touch me.

lovely_lemon_tree replied to slik_kitty's response:
So I look like Sushi, huh? I don't know whether that's a compliment or not!

I suppose it comes from my mixed ethnic background... part Burmese, so I have the exotic, partially Asian looks, though I wound up with the light skin like my dad's side of the family.
We must be the change we wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Ghandi

bluerose90 replied to DOGDANCING_TCOS's response:
Wow, DDT! That's great that you write/illustrating children's books! That must be a lot of fun to do and like you said it helps you remember the good things. I love the drawing too. Lol It's too cute!

Rose

bluerose90 replied to tnmist's response:
Misty,

Now I'm drawing a blank... Lol Umm... I read a lot of the Star Wars book series too for scifi but other than that I'm drawing a blank as far as some other titles. That's weird. Lol I also loved Dr. Seus books! I had a giant book that was a collection of most of his books and I would read that all the time. I kinda grew up fast so I read a lot of Nero Wolfe, Agatha Christie, Sherlock Holmes, and Louie L'amour books while I was still pretty young.

Also being a bit of a history geek I read a lot of books on ancient history and some science books too. My mom was and is a horse nut so she had a ton of books about them, especially children's books but I never really got into them very much. I'm currently kind of browsing around different titles to see if there are any that I want to get into.

Rose

bluerose90 replied to slik_kitty's response:
Sk,

My brother and sister would read those books all the time but for some reason I don't think I ever did. I definatly know what you mean about reading being your escape though. It was the same way for me. Comic books too... Lol I used to read all the comic books I could get my hands on when I was younger but I haven't had the time or the $ to keep up with that lately. I think that's part of the reason I got so into comic books and stuff. I could just immerse myself in the story and forget about real life for awhile. Hmm... that's probably also why I got so obsessed with writing fan fiction. Lol

Rose

Spotlight: Member Stories

I was molested by 3 relatives. All of this occured when I was just 7 and younger. Two were male, one was female. Two were repeating abuses that had/we...More

Helpful Tips

An Answer to Why does my chest alway hurt?
I am a survivor of sexual abuse plus others. When I was 8 I started to experience overall chest pain. At 9 I went throught a medical review ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 11 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.