Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Distraction action anyone?
tnmist posted:
If anyone has a distraction action question, feel free to jump on in! I certainly don't hold the corner market on this. In the meantime...

1. If you could be an animal, what would you be and why?
2. What's your favorite zoo animal?
3. What's your favorite bird?

az330 responded:
what do you want to be when you grow up??? i wanted to be a lawyer. someone who was strong and and be willing and able to stand up foe those that needed help.....

tnmist replied to az330's response:
Very good, AZ! I'm still growing up, so I don't know!

tnmist replied to tnmist's response:
I guess when I was a kid, I used to think I would like to be a teacher...I don't think I ever aspired to be anything unusual. Teacher or vet or something. Or maybe nursing. **shoulder shrug** My ultimate goal is to drop a lot of weight so I have the energy and improved self-image to return to school for a different career. Guess I'm still hoping I'm not going to be doing what I do now the rest of my life, but my window of opportunity is getting smaller as I get older.

-Misty

bluerose90 replied to tnmist's response:
Hmm.... I'm not sure what kind of animal I would want to be... that's a good question. Lol I might have to get back to you on that.

My favorite zoo animals are monkeys in general but I love spider monkeys in particular. They are just adorable.

I think my favorite wild bird would have to be humming birds. They are so pretty and zip around like no other. LOL My favorite domesticated bird would be love birds. They are smart and adorable too.

When I was little I wanted to be one of two things either an archeologist (I love ancient history.), or a zoologist (I also have a thing for animals.). LOL I knew that I would never be able to do it but it was fun to think about.

Anyone else?

Rose
Where there is shadow, there is light.

tnmist replied to bluerose90's response:
I think at one time or another I thought about being a zoologist or a marine biologist, but it was never anything serious. I just love animals. I would love to learn how to train dogs, maybe even specialize like for helping the disabled or train police dogs. I've even looked into it, but I don't see a way of doing it living alone with only my income to count on. You know? I guess if I had a husband then maybe I could look into that.

However, as much as I love dogs, I'm not sure I would be all that great at it anyway. I don't possess that aura of being the "alpha," and, trust me, I've seen it! I had some friends come check out my house right after I got it and also adopted a rescue dog, and my dog acted just FINE around the husband. It was spooky. He just had that authoritative air about him, I suppose. I don't have that. And I know I should at LEAST get my dog trained better, but I haven't. Partly because owning a home is a new experience for me, then all those FBs last year, etc., I just don't have the energy to embark on that...

I train him to some degree. He's a bright dog. My sister makes me feel guilty every time we talk about it...."You really ought to train him to do things because he is bright and he probably gets bored." Sigh. He does the basics, but I need to figure out how to get him to resopnd more quickly and not when HE wants to, LOL. If there is food involved, then he is the perfect dog, ha.

Animals:
1) I've always thought it would be fun to be a river otter. They just look like they have the best time, ha. I mean they seek out play - sliding down mud banks into the water.
2) Not sure what my fav zoo animal would be. I so rarely get to a zoo, and I won't go to a zoo that uses cages. Those poor animals look happier when they have "natural habitat" enclosures to live in, don't you think? I guess, when I'm at the zoo, I love the giraffes....
3) Bird? Why did I ask these qustions, LOL. Hmmmm. Kinda like penguins or eagles. A lot of birds mate for life, and I think that is cool.

Anyone else?? Animals....career? Whatever.

lovely_lemon_tree replied to tnmist's response:
1.) I have thought many a time that I would love to be a house cat in a good home. That's the life -- sleeping, being fed and watered, having my litter box cleaned, being snuggled and played with... oh yeah.

2.) Zoo animal... well, I actually saw moose in a wildlife preserve a couple times. I love moose -- they are my favorite animal. They are so big and cute.

3.) Favorite bird ... that's a tough one, considering I don't really like birds. I guess I like silly ones, like penguins or puffins.

What did I want to be when I grew up? Believe it or not, I wanted to be a solar physicist. There was a national solar observatory not far from where I grew up, and my family took a tour of it several times -- it was so fantastic! I love science and astronomy in particular, but just observing the sun through the giant 200 foot telescope in real time as a solar flare was happening was just TOO COOL! I was hooked. (I later realized that I didn't have the knack for math that being a physicist takes... too bad.)
We must be the change we wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Ghandi

tnmist replied to lovely_lemon_tree's response:
Thanks for your response, LLT. I surely hope you are doing better today and are safe.

I like Moose, too, but I hear they can be quite mean. A lot of cats have the life, don't they? Sleeping 18 or more hours a day. Wish I could get away with that, but when I'm doing that I know depression has its hold on me.

Wow, a solar physicist. That's ambitious.

-Misty

Spotlight: Member Stories

My 6 yr. old daughter was sexually abused by her father on a week-end visitation, shortly after we separated and I filed for divorce. After she told m...More

Helpful Tips

An Answer to Why does my chest alway hurt?
I am a survivor of sexual abuse plus others. When I was 8 I started to experience overall chest pain. At 9 I went throught a medical review ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 11 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.