Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Distraction Action
bluerose90 posted:
We've all being having a hard time lately and I thought that I might start one of these a little early this week. Sorry if it's a little weird. LOL I'm pretty sure this is the first time I've put one up.

What's your favorite movie or movies?
What's your favorite type of music?
What do you like to listen to so you can relax?
Do you know how to play an instrument or is there one you would like to learn?

Rose
Where there is shadow, there is light.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

lovely_lemon_tree responded:
Interesting!

Favorite movie: "Contact." Followed by "Save the Last Dance."

Favorite music: Soft rock and soft jazz, though I also get a kick out of good, dance-able hip-hop (which is getting rarer and rarer these days). I also like classical.

To relax, I like to listen to zen music, or really soft jazz. Even softer than elevator music. It helps me a great deal, when I can tolerate listening to music. Sometimes even hearing things is overwhelming, and so I listen to silence instead.

Instruments: Yes, I do know how to play instruments! I know how to play the flute and piccolo (I have played for -- wow -- 20 years!) and I'm learning how to play the harp -- though the harp is a lot harder than I thought it would be! It's too bad, because I really like it. Maybe things will get easier. I guess I will just have to keep plugging along.
We must be the change we wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Ghandi

bluerose90 replied to lovely_lemon_tree's response:
Cool! What kind of flute do you play?? It's funny because I'm actually making arrangements to get a "flute kit" here. LOL I've always wanted to make and play a flute because I love the way they sound and I was looking into it a little bit online a few days ago and found a company who makes native american style flutes. They sell a kit that you can design and decorate yourself personally but it comes to you tuned. That was the main issue for me because I knew that I could probably make one on my own but tuning it so it would sound right is another thing. LOL Sorry, I'm rambling. I'm just really looking forward to that.

As for me on a favorite movie. I love so many different movies and different type's that I don't think I could pick just one or even a couple. A couple of them would be... Princess Bride. Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (I just love that movie so much!) How to Train Your Dragon and.... okay for scifi movies I love wayyyyyy too many of them to choose. LOL

Music: Honestly, I love music and listen to everything but Country. (For an unknown reason I honestly can't stand it... )Rock, Pop, Classical, Jazz, Blues, and I also love Latin Music and Celtic. My mom used to listen to Celtic music all the time at home and I never really got into it until I was a teenager. Actually that's what I usually listen to to relax or calm down or any quiet flute or instrumental music.

Instruments: I played the trumpet when I was in school but unfortunately I didn't keep up with it so I would probably have to learn it all over again. A cousin tried to teach me the piano when I was little but I didn't have a knack for it. I could play the notes but it just wasn't for me. Like I said above I'm going to give it my best shot to learn how to play the flute. LOL

Keep it up with learning the harp, LLT! That's one that sounds hard to learn to me but I bet that once you get the hang of it you'll be glad that you kept up with it!

Rose

tnmist responded:
Finally feel up to replying!

Fav. Movie: That's rough. I don't think I have one! Sound of Music or You've Got Mail, I suppose, but there are just too many to choose from. I love Hunt for Red October, too.

Fav type of music: That depends on my mood and what I'm doing. Mostly classical, I suppose, but need to jam a bit more when housecleaning or something. I enjoy very conservative Christian music, too. I like the old, funny songs, too, like "Guitarzan."

Music to relax: That would be classical.

Plays an instrument: No. I was told piano was probably the easiest to learn, and I have no natural talent for that, and I didn't pursue anything else. Have been re-thinking that, though, and would like to learn guitar or even harmonica - something portable.

Good questions.

-Misty

tnmist replied to bluerose90's response:
Wow, LLT, learning the harp? You go, girl! Rose, I can relate to some of what you wrote. Depending on my mood, I enjoy Jazz, Blues, Latin and Celtic, too. And I do NOT like country, either!! Friends have asked me why did I move to TN because I don't like the color orange (the TN Vols) nor do I like country music, LOL. There is lots to like here besides those things, though, ha.

Rose, let us know how that flute kit turns out. That sounds VERY interesting!

-Misty

tnmist responded:
Rose, I noticed your new picture. That's a pretty one, too. Is there a story with it? Did you draw it? Just wondering.

-Misty

bluerose90 replied to tnmist's response:
MISTY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Okay, I just had to do that! I was laughing to myself as I read your movie list because I was like, "I LOVE those movies too!!!" LOL

I'm hoping that I'll be getting the kit in about two months. *Waits impatiently... * I'm already starting getting some sketches together of what I might do to it. I'll probably send out pictures of it to show you all or post them on photobucket so you can take a look and see what you think. I'm really looking forward to it too because I love to do things with my hands and also I love working with wood.

Oh, I wish that I had drawn that picture. LOL I found it online and it was originally a red rose but I reversed the colors and made it blue. I haven't drawn much lately and I'm not sure why. I guess I just have to be in a certain mood to do it.

Rose

LOL, thanks, Rose. Feeling more peppy today and no fever - Yay, Z-Pak!! Hoping to get a few things done today.

I was thinking about my week, and, in all honesty, this illness gave me the rest I needed in the first place.

-Misty

lovely_lemon_tree replied to tnmist's response:
I play classical (metal) flute -- the one that is included in orchestras and bands. I started learning when I was 11.
We must be the change we wish to see in the world. -- Mahatma Ghandi

Misty,

I'm glad that Z-Pak is already working for you and at least you did get the rest you were needing! Even though it wasn't the way you where planning.

LLT,

I figured it was the classical flute. I wanted to try to learn that in school but my music teacher didn't think it would be a good idea because my asthma was really bad at the time. *shrugs*

Rose

Well, was doing okay this a.m. but I can't breathe worth a flip tonight and I'm miserable!!!! (Didn't see a "stuffy-nosed" emoticon.) Stupid allergies anyway!!!! Everything has had to take a back seat this week. Sigh.

-Misty

Oh, no. I'm sorry that really stinks. Hopefully you'll clear up a little more in a day or two after you've gotten more of the medicine into your system. I'm afraid that I'm a little sick now because I ended up in the sun too long today and I got burnt pretty well and too much sun along with my medicine doesn't end well. Hopefully I'll be able to fight off the migraine that's trying to rear it's head. LOL

Rose

Ohhh, I'm sorry! What do you do for your migraines? Don't hang around the computer, right? Mine are so rare, but only a dark, quiet room helps me. I hope you can stave it off!

I'm sorry about the sun, too. Ouch!!!

-Misty

Unfortunately, migraines are a pretty regular thing for me. I try to rest and like you said a dark room helps but I'm all jumpy right now and triggery (not sure why) so I'm trying to keep myself busy. I can't sit in a dark room right now either... I tried to for awhile to help but I was getting too anxious in the dark...

Pain killers don't do much for me to help but I took some anyway. Stupid medicine makes me even more sensitive to the sun though so I burn easier and it makes me sick faster too. Oh well what can ya do right.

Rose

Oh, dear. I'm sorry. Being unsure of what is triggering you is doubly unnerving! ((((Rose)))) Hope you are feeling better today.

-Misty

Spotlight: Member Stories

I was molested by 3 relatives. All of this occured when I was just 7 and younger. Two were male, one was female. Two were repeating abuses that had/we...More

Helpful Tips

An Answer to Why does my chest alway hurt?
I am a survivor of sexual abuse plus others. When I was 8 I started to experience overall chest pain. At 9 I went throught a medical review ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 11 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.