Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
frustrated
aprilrain posted:
I need to vent. I am in college and just about to get my Master's degree in psychology. In classes we sometimes discuss some very emotional issues, and tonight we discussed pedophilia. It is a psychology and law class so we discuss the impact of psychology on decisions within the courtroom. Tonight somebody brought up that there is research showing that children who disclose and go through the court system actually are more traumatized then those who don't. Now, I am very familiar with research methods and how to access articles, etc/, but this research finding really floored me and made me frustrated and angry. The professor was agreeing that the research does indeed find this evidence. I became upset in the classroom and was arguing with people who were saying that children are resilient and have the ability to be okay without disclosing or getting support from others. I think of my own experience and those of countless others who either didn't disclose or disclosed and weren't believed and how traumatized and pained that we are and don't understand this other mentality. I understand that the court system can be traumatizing, but I don't understand how not disclosing and dealing with it on your own is supposedly better. What do others on here think?

bluerose90 responded:
Hi Aprilrain,

I've honestly never heard that said before. I guess... it might depend on the person. Personally I didn't disclose any of it at all until 3 years ago and that was only part of it. I, kind of like you, was going through some classes that I had to take for work and we were talking about Mandatory Reporting on abuse victims. I became sick in class and almost had to leave but barely managed to keep myself together long enough to finish the class. It wasn't long after that that I went to a friend and told her what happened when I was a child... though I left out what was still being done to me even then.

I think that it eats away at you no matter how much you want to forget it it will still effect you. I wish that I had gone to someone when I was a child and gotten help then. Maybe if I had I would have been able to keep it from happening again when I was older. I do agree that a lot of time the children or survivors who have to go through all of the pain of the court system are subjected to more pain but I would never say that it's better that they don't say anything. The more help they get as soon as possible the better.

That's just my opinion and I'm no expert. Please take care of yourself and I'm sorry for what you went through.

Rose
Where there is shadow, there is light.

tnmist responded:
Personally, I would love to hear DDT's take on this post. As for myself, this topic makes me too angry to think logically. I will put it this way. I'm middle-aged. I just had a whole bunch of memories/flashbacks bombard me a year ago about a childhood I didn't even realize happened until the memories came back to me. According to my mother, I had a "happy" childhood, but what really happened was that my psyche protected me from reality long enough to survive childhood, and beginning in my teens I've been suicidal and diagnosed with recurrent major depression. I also deal with obesity and financial woes that are also part of the fallout from childhood.

Some children DON'T survive. I'll have emotional scars the rest of my life. I hardly think ignoring a child's trauma in the name of "resiliency" is the answer.

I could go on and on, but I'm just floored by that sort of thinking.

April, congratulations on pursuing a Master's! And, as for "research," not all research is valid. Things can be skewed very easily. It may be interesting to see where that sort of research came from, who backed it up, etc. Best wishes in your career. Hope we hear from you again.

-Misty

aprilrain replied to tnmist's response:
Hi Misty. Thank you for responding. Flashbacks are what I was trying to explain to the person talking about children's "resiliency." and ability to suppress. I was floored, as well, and very triggered. I wasn't logical enough last night to objectively search for this research, but I am still going to look into it. My suspicion is that it's not the disclosing that's traumatic, but the set up of the court system and it's tendency to re-victimize. I'm sorry for the pain you went through and are going through now. Thank you for the congratulations on pursuing my master's. I will have it in about 1 wk!!

aprilrain replied to bluerose90's response:
Hi Rose. I think you said it all when you said "The more help they get as soon as possible the better." Like I said to Misty, mu suspicion on this research is that it's the court system that re-victimizes the children, not the disclosing. I appreciate you responding to me. I felt so alone, frustrated, angry, and triggered at that point during this class. I am sorry for what you went through, but also glad that you eventually had a friend to go to. Hopefully it eased some of the burden of the past for you, but I'm so sorry it was happening again at the time. I think disclosing is easier when it's not happening in the moment. Best to you...

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a senior citizen who has carried a family secret for over 60 years. I have a genetic disorder diverticulosis.Treatment began in 2003. The bowel p...More

Helpful Tips

An Answer to Why does my chest alway hurt?
I am a survivor of sexual abuse plus others. When I was 8 I started to experience overall chest pain. At 9 I went throught a medical review ... More
Was this Helpful?
10 of 11 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.