Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Distraction Action - 4th of July
tnmist posted:
What are everyone's plans (or non-plans) for July 4th? Picnic and fireworks with family/children? Quiet day at home? Shopping? Wearing earplugs to cover the noise? I hope this holiday is not a trigger for anyone.

I hope everyone has a safe and happy 4th of July...Distract yourself and enjoy the day! ((gentle hugs to all))
Every day begins with an act of courage and hope: Getting out of bed. - Mason Cooley

Misty

tnmist responded:
To be honest, I wish my on-line support group (YOU!) and I could get together for a barbecue and then watch some fireworks somewhere. I nice day of camaraderie...

Believe it or not, I actually have some fond memories of the 4th...Not a lot of memories, but I vaguely remember sitting with the family in some field surrounded by other people and their kids and enjoying a fireworks show. And I vaguely remember learning about sparklers on the back patio with friends visiting. These were both when I was pretty young.

I love grilled corn and veggie dogs (vegetarian hot dogs), tossed salad and baked potatoes or potato salad, etc., and I usually like getting together with friends, but not sure what's happening this year. When I first returned to TN, I was part of a group of friends (old and new) who got together on the 4th, and I loved it. The adults played card games and the kids played some Mario-type games on the TV. We grilled food and had quite the "potluck." Later on the guys had to go get some stuff to shoot off, cuz, you know, they are guys. This was in a rural setting with a large front and backyard. We would watch them do their thing, the kids had some safe things to do, and we also could catch a fireworks show from the front porch. All in all, a pretty wonderful time.

I'm sad to report that those friends ditched me. There is just no other word for it. I made a mistake one time and said I needed friends who didn't drink (I despise alcohol because of how it led to my sister's early death). I regretted saying it. I know I hurt them. I bent over backwards apologizing and trying to repair the damage for about a year, I guess. But they chose not to forgive me and ditched me. One family I had known for about 20 years. I was devastated. I don't pursue it anymore. I left the door open to them if they ever wanted to talk to me, and I had to let it go. That was a pretty deep wound.

Wow, I didn't intend to get into all of that. This was meant to be a fun post...

THIS year I plan on getting some things done around the house and/or yard. I've been in such a pit of depression that my place is a disaster. I want to accomplish SOMETHING that day, you know? I don't want to just wish the day away and regret not accomplishing something. I'm not going to stay in bed and dwell on all the yucky stuff swirling around in my head. I may even take myself to a movie, not sure. Then later in the day I'm getting together with a girlfriend for a little cookout. That will be the best part of my day. (So far, that is the only thing actually planned.) I don't know if I will catch any fireworks or not. It's okay if I don't. I don't need to see live fireworks every year. I know a couple who enjoy watching the D.C. fireworks show on TV every year.

Okay, this is much longer than I intended...Anyone else care to put in their 2 cents' worth? I would love to hear what ya'll will be doing or not doing.
Every day begins with an act of courage and hope: Getting out of bed. - Mason Cooley

Misty

tnmist replied to tnmist's response:
Well, I've already changed my plans...This is turning into another rough week emotionally, and I'm just going to be home-body. I have a few days off and will try to do some things at the house and some inner child stuff, too.

Wow, this posting and answering myself is pretty lame. I'll be quiet and hope someone else jumps in.

Misty

az330 replied to tnmist's response:
Not sure what im doing yet. I live in the desert and there are currently wildfires everywhere. So fireworks are out.

slik_kitty responded:
the plan was to grill and watch fireworks off my porch, but once again they cancelled the town fireworks cuz it's too dry. so i guess i will just grill. everyone else is working anyway. i'm the only one with the day off.

bluerose90 replied to slik_kitty's response:
I'm out of the country but still no plans for me. It's just another day. I hope everyone has a good time though even if you don't have any big plans. (((hugs all around)))
Where there is shadow, there is light.

tnmist replied to bluerose90's response:
AZ , hope those wildfires out there aren't near you!! Be safe.

Slik-Kitty, hope you enjoy the day no matter what...Most of the time I enjoy my solitude. I'm not very good company these days anyway.

Rose, when you return, we should have a big party here!! We need to grab every reason we can to celebrate.

Misty

Spotlight: Member Stories

I am a senior citizen who has carried a family secret for over 60 years. I have a genetic disorder diverticulosis.Treatment began in 2003. The bowel p...More

Helpful Tips

Are you having posting problems?
With all the posting/not posting problems, try these: 1. Copy your post/response BEFORE clicking on "post" 2. If the "can't post now" ... More
Was this Helpful?
4 of 6 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.