Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
any thoughts?
sully72 posted:
I was abused by my father since I was at least 4 - 6or7 years old. there were 4 other sisters and one brother. Dad used sevre rage and intimidation to control me and I became very fearful of him. to this day the idea that I have done something to upset anyone brings me to my knees with fear and apologies.

My problem is that I have 2 younger sisters who tormented me as I was weak, introverted and umpopular.

I left home at the first opportunity at 19 yrs. old. None of my siblings have taken any time to inquire or show any interest as to why I left and after 40 years have no idea who I am or who I have become. My Mother is 86 and although the trips home over the years to see MOm, only proved to set my sisters against me even more as Each visit would inevitably be ienttwined with the strong desire to enjoy my Mother while dealing with the continued emotional abuse by my Father through rage and intimidation. I would seek refuge at one of my younger sisters homes where the other was often present and I would not be welcomed. I'd sit in her drive for hours wanting her to come out and comfort me and invite me in but only rage and rejection came form them.

Now I want to be part of my mothers plans for her aging and the sisters do not seem to want me to be part of the input. I want to work with them on my mothers behalf but I am being shut out. I have tried to express my desire to be in on the decision makeing and, through some pretty firm e-mails from the sister who is very contrlling, just like dad, it has been mede clear to me that she is not interested in any input from me. She's got it all figured out.

You see, I am hrmless but hold such rage towards both of them for never having the curtesy or kindness to ask me about what happened when the inevitable rage would rise up in dad and I ssek refuge with one of them. They have always simply decided that I am evil because I have, once again, upset their dear father and their disapproval of me has not let up through the years. dad died in March 2001 and the separation and judgement continues.

should I send an e-mail to each of them explaining whay I so feared dad and them and thus left home in 1974? Should I try and help them understand what makes me feel what I feel,( fear, distrust,) of them because things have never healed between us and everything reverts back to a behavior that is still embedded in me to this day.....to run, leave, avoid conflict and rage. I want them to accept me but I find it difficult to change. The instincts to run are too deeply embedded in me, its a defence mechanism. I'd love forgiveness and kindness from them. what happened years ago separates me from my family. they are where Mom is and I want to belong and be a part of their lives, welcomed and appreciated. But the idea of going home, I will be in October, terrifies me as they will be there lurking. Looking for cause instead of friendship. I wold love it if they saw me as an asset insstead of a troublemaker. I would love it if they ould accept me as I am for whatever reason. I fera they will choose not to beleive anything I say and the wall that is between us now, althought I feel is still penetrable, will become solid and and irreversable.

Please, any advise would be so appreciated.

tnmist responded:
Hello, Sully72. Welcome to the board, although I'm sad to read about your circumstances. Family situations can be like mine fields, can't they? I'm wondering if perhaps a counselor or therapist could help you sort out what may be the best next step?

I honestly have no advice to offer, so I'm afraid I'm not much good, but I did want you to know that you are heard, and there are "lurkers" here who care, even when they/we don't feel up to posting.
Every day begins with an act of courage and hope: Getting out of bed. - Mason Cooley

Misty

marysings responded:
This thread is a trigger. Don't read unless you are safe.

I wasn't safe.
Mary
I'm strong willed and I tell it like it is. I make mistakes, I'm sometimes out of control, but I love and give with all my heart.

tnmist replied to marysings's response:
  • **This thread is a trigger***
    Oh, Mary, I'm sorry for not posting that on my reply!! I'm sure the new person just didn't know to do that, and it's really my fault. I apologize. (This may be a duplicate reply; WebMD is messing up on me.)
    Every day begins with an act of courage and hope: Getting out of bed. - Mason Cooley

Misty

• Spotlight: Member Stories

Unfortunately, my story is similar to many others in this community. I was sexually abused by my older brother when I was 7 and he was 12. I have been...More

Helpful Tips

my story - in part anyway
    I had always been asked if I had been molested and always answered no. Then, after a hysterectomy at 36, I was once again asked, only this ... More
    Was this Helpful?
    9 of 12 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.