Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up
Please Help: Repressed Memory
ladyshade posted:
I am looking for help with repressed memories. They are from 17 years ago when I was 6 years old. I started to have flashbacks 11 years ago and they only happened when triggered so I stayed away from the triggers. I got married 8 months ago and that is when I became physically (intimately) active. Since then they have gotten more intense and will happen even without obvious triggers. Recently I remembered something that I had never remembered before. I need to learn more about what happened all those years ago so that I can move forward and prevent it from causing any problems. If you know anything about repressed memories or something related please get in touch with me. Thank you.

slik_kitty responded:
as a child, to protect ourselves, we shoved the bad things deep inside us. those memories can come back at any time, even decades later. it's understandable that becoming sexually active will reform those memory links. you need to find a therapist to help you work through these memories.

rugger1369 replied to slik_kitty's response:
^ i agree with SK.

"your brain brings these to the surface when it believes you are strong enough to handle them"

all the best in your journey to heal

Spotlight: Member Stories

From the time I was 5 til I moved away at 12 I was sexually abused by my friends older brother. I have never told anyone about it except my best frien...More

Helpful Tips

my story - in part anyway
I had always been asked if I had been molested and always answered no. Then, after a hysterectomy at 36, I was once again asked, only this ... More
Was this Helpful?
9 of 12 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.