Skip to content

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

What To Do?
kandiraynee posted:
I want to get a tattoo, very bad, however, I'm very aware and scared of the risk of HIV from the process. There is only two or three places where I can get tattoos done (I don't reside in the United States, therefore, I cannot go driving about in search of "remarkable" tattoo parlors). One of the guys who does do tattoos, does a horrible/mediocre job and I'm not sure about the sanitation. Now the other guy, does excellent jobs for tattoos, but he does this from home so I have not the slightest idea whether he follows or does sanitation protocols as well. I do plan to ask him how he cleans the equipment, can anybody please tell me the things that can be accepted? Like things he should and shouldn't (like what he should/can clean the equipment with, how he should clean them, etc) do as far as exposure to blood-pathogens so I can know if I should and can go to him and so I can note if any red flags. Thank youuuuuuuu!!!!

georgiagail responded:
What you would want to see is that any of these tattoo artists use FRESH needles with each client (needles should still be in sealed packages that are opened in your presence) .

Sanitizing products such as a bleach solution are typically the most common sources used to clean items used in this business.

HIV is an extemely delicate virus outside of the body. Once the medium it is in dries, the virus dies.

Gail

kandiraynee replied to georgiagail's response:
Thank you, my dear! I appreciate it doll.

bingo1492 responded:
a tat in order to keep up with the JONES'S....outside infulence's is not a good reason to get a tat and they can cause problrms...stop thinking of how much more can i get involved with THESE people...just because everyone else has one doe's not mean you are an OUTSIDER....you can stand alone and still be you....

kandiraynee replied to bingo1492's response:
What in the world are you talking about? I am not getting a tattoo for immature reasonings, I am getting a tattoo because I want to and because it's how I choose to express myself. I'm not influenced by social factors nor do I care about keeping up with fads. I honestly couldn't give a damn what the next person does or says.

kandiraynee replied to kandiraynee's response:
Oh Gail, I asked him and all is well. He uses an autoclave and ultrasonic and never reuses his needles.

georgiagail replied to kandiraynee's response:
Then he is following the correct procedures for ensuring blood borne diseases will not be passed from one customer to another.

Gail

Helpful Tips

How to Live With an STD
1. Be yourself, and be patient. No matter what situation it is you are going through, and don't ever let anyone make you feel bad about ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 39 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.