Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

I think a pubic hair went into my mouth... worry about infections.
Anon_159544 posted:
I was in class just now and I fell asleep. When I woke up, I noticed something funny in my mouth. I took it out and it was a black and curly strand of... something. Now I'm not 100% sure if it's even hair, it's a little plasticky, but it sure looks like pubic/anal hair.

But since I was so bloody sleepy, I just left it aside and continue sleeping. Now that I am home and awake, I have two concerns:

1) Can I get infections like AIDS or STDs from EATING a pubic hair?

2) Since I touched the hair with my hands, and I rubbed my eyes when I woke up, would this also put me at risk?

kandiraynee responded:
I want to believe that that was not a hair, I really do. However, you cannot contract HIV or any STD in this manner for a variety of reasons, such as HIV become inactivated shortly after leaving it's host, exposure to air deteriorates the "cocoon" that allows HIV to latch onto cells. HIV transmission has to be immediate, that's why it usually takes place in the body, it needs direct exposure to your bloodstream. As well as the fact that the mouth is a very hostile place for the virus, enzymes in the saliva would practically destroy it and your saliva would destroy it. And as far as your eye, no, seeing that it'd probably been in your mouth a while, IF it was a hair, and IF it was somehow "tainted", it would no longer be infectious as far as HIV is concerned. As far as other STDs, I'd think that it takes more than one little hair!

All The Best, Kandii

All

Anon_159544 replied to kandiraynee's response:
What if it was really pubic hair, and when it happened I had sores in my mouth? Also, after touching it, I touched my bags, my books and even my clothes. Should I sterilize them too?

georgiagail replied to Anon_159544's response:
1. Eating a pubic hair will not pass any STD (including HIV) onto you.

2. Same answer as number 1.

Gail

kandiraynee replied to Anon_159544's response:
Still no, if this was the case, many of the people who've performed orally on partners with HIV and other STDs should be infected as well (which is not so) and if you want to spray your stuff with some Lysol then go ahead if it eases your mind. But you've had no exposure, even if it was a hair.

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.