Skip to content

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Herpes newly infected
lily225 posted:
Around the end of June, I met some one and we began dating i hadn't had sex for quite some time and so a few days later i felt some cuts and i was swollen down there..When I went to the doctor they said it looked like herpes and after they took samples with the swab they diagnosed me with Herpes Simplex 1 in my genitals. My partner claims he has never had anything like this and has never been diagnosed. The doctor stated that he may not be the culprit and that this may have been laying dormant and possibly the vigorous sex led to my first outbreak.

I don't know what to think, all I know is that I never thought something like this could happen to me and get very depressed...I feel so ashamed and just thinking about it and the fact that i can have another outbreak is horrifying. I am still with my partner but just thinking about having to tell some one in the future...ughh...its just soo sad. I am still traumatized and some times as I lay in bed have panic attacks from this whole thing....I do not know how to cope,,

elle0317 responded:
Has your current lover ever had a cold sore? Has he been tested to find out his status? HSV1 genital infections typically is caused by oral sex when the the giver has a history of cold sores and passes the virus on to the genitals of the receiver. Your Dr is right too, this may have been a previous infection, but just showing up now. If your current guy is tested and is negative, then you'll know it wasn't from him.

He could have the HSV1 orally but never shown the symptoms, and not knowing they have it, this is why most people transmit the virus and happens all the time.

I'm so sorry you are having such a diffcult time dealing with this, it does get better as time goes on. Keep in mind that there are millions of people out there who also have HSV1. And HSV1 genitally usually doesn't have very many re-occuring outbreaks like HSV2. Some people never have another outbreak after the first one.

abe648 responded:
As Elle has said HSV1 genitally is not a lot to worry about so take in a deep BREATH and HOLD it for as long as you can and EXHALE and RELAX.

This will all come into focus in time and it is not a big deal.

The thing you need to remember that you can also still get HSV 2 genitally even if you have HSV 1 genitally. So it is so important to go and get all STI tests done including Type specific igg blood test for HSV 1 & 2 before becoming sexually active with any new partner.

Like Elle said get your guy to go and get all STI testing done so you know what his status is and if you have not had STI testing done then you should go and get your self tested as well. You need to get a HSV 2 blood test with an igg type test to see if you have HSV 2. Like Elle said about HSV 1 you could possibly have HSV 2 and have no idea you have it. If both of you get properly tested then both of you will know your status on all possible STI'S.
To learn more read the Herpes Handbook. Terri Warren's book The Good News about the Bad News. It is available now as am e-book. Click on The Tiger to get more details.

lily225 replied to elle0317's response:
Elle0317 thank you for your response and it has now been two yrs. later...the guy who gave this to me is now my ex and yes he was positive for this strain..so I'm convinced he did give this to me. Anyhow, I'm not as freaked out as I used to be because I have not experienced any out break since the first time. I even forgot this happened to me, even though now as I meet people and back in the dating scene...I'm absolutely terrified to have to tell them this....

lily225 replied to abe648's response:
@abe648 As per my response to Elle, it is now 2yrs later and by now I am a bit more relaxed...I have even forgotten this happened to me...but now meeting and having to disclose this to some one....is absolutely terrifying. I have anxiety just thinking about it....

My dr. Said if I meet and become sexually active to use condoms ofcourse, but if it's serious and decide to go on pill...get tested have him tested and that he may even have this strain in his blood already since hsv 1 is soo common. I pray and wish this never happened to me... Thank you again for your reponse...I don't feel so alone.

change89 replied to lily225's response:
@lily225 how has it been since finding out your ex partner gave it to you ? Have you begun dating ? I just recently found out i have herpes type 2 and im borderline freaking out,. I went to the doctors for the same reason you did, i found cuts on my clit and it was swollen. I have no idea if its been dormant or i just recently got it all i do know is that i have it and im having trouble wrapping my head around things

lily225 replied to change89's response:
@change89 well I haven't gotten serious with anyone yet to even get to the point where I have to disclose this information. However, I do still stress over it at times. I haven't had any break outs thank god and sometimes even forget this happened to me. I know exactly how u feel..trust me. You have to be positive and thank god it's not worse and the fact that this virus doesn't do anything to ur health. If some one loves u they won't care that's what I try reminding myself these things.

Helpful Tips

genital herpes
just want somebody else out there that i could talk to i have had herpes for 8 years and i have some questions, if someone would please ... More
Was this Helpful?
24 of 44 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.