Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

HSV -1 - two questions
Mikeonthefloor posted:
I tested positive for hsv-1 it was an IgG type specific with a # of 2.46

My question is what does the number mean other than it is positive?

My second questions is can a man catch HSV-1 by having oral performed on him and if yes, would it be genital or could it be oral or could it be either. Finally, if a person performs oral sex on a man and contracts hsv-1, would it be oral or could it be genital? Thank you

abe648 responded:
I am NOT a medical profesional but from what I have learned on this site is that you should bet a test again for HSV 1 in about 3 months. You most likely have HSV 1 but you are still below the number neded to confirm your status. You need to have a value of 4.00 or more to confirm that you are positive

When comes to HSV 1 by the time you reach 60 years of age or more approx 70% or more of people have HSV 1 so it is not a big deal.

If we take the positiom that you have HsV 1 orally then ue you could possibly transmit HSV 1 from your oral area to his genital area through you givving him oral sex. If he got it from you then he would have HSV 1 genitally. HSV 1 genitaly does not have a lot of ob's and so is not a real bother.

If he gives you oral and has HSV 1 orally then he could also have transmittted it to you genitally. As noted it does not have a lot of ob's. the strain of HSV does not change because of its location. If you have HSV 1 and give him oral and he gets HSV it will still be HSV 1 even though it is in the genital area.

I would urge both of you to get a type specific igg blood test to see what each of you have when it comes to herpes. It is always good to know you herpes status.
Read the info at the website provided in my signature line felow.
Read more in the Herpes Handbook. Watch the Herpes Video and Terri Warren's book The Good News about the Bad News. All located under the heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

Mikeonthefloor replied to abe648's response:
My test was igg specific and show it as HIV 1 thank you for an informative answer.

abe648 replied to Mikeonthefloor's response:
I trust that you meant to say HSV 1 is that correct?
Read more in the Herpes Handbook. Watch the Herpes Video and Terri Warren's book The Good News about the Bad News. All located under the heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

Mikeonthefloor replied to abe648's response:
Yes. Thankfully that is a typo. I meant HSV 1

Helpful Tips

How Can You Get Most Out This Community?
Hello members, Welcome to the STD community! Please feel free to post or join in any discussions on this community. Useful Tools WebMD ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.