HPV and Dating
LaDanza posted:
I just found out that I have a strain of HPV, but have no symptoms other than the irregular pap smear. Last week I went on my first date since finding out about my condition. I'm the kind of person that can't get close to someone without full discosure. I told the guy which was followed by being ignored. I don't usually get emotional about dating issues, but this really threw me for a loop. Is this what dating is going to be like now? I have the virus and I know many people do and just may not know. How am I supposed to handle this? I've gone from being secure about my life, my looks and intelligence to questioning if anybody could actually have a relationship with me. The doctor said it should be heal itself within the next year or two if I don't smoke, but how can you tell if it is gone when you don't have any symptoms? I have never felt so insecure and I'm not sure who to talk to or if the people I talk to even understand.

pnormal responded:
LaDanza,

Just so you are aware, 80% of the us population has been exposed to HPV. If any man has dated at least 2 women, odds are he has it as well.

I would just continue to get your annual pap smear to keep an eye on it. You may want to start the conversations about, "did you know" that 80% of the population has HPV and 20% has Herpes? I don't know how old you are, but if he's been with at least 10 women, he's probably been exposed to both diseases but may never develop symptoms.

Keep your chin up!