Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Is it Herpes?
PossibleHypo posted:
About a month and a half ago I had intercourse with someone I wasn't too well acquainted with. About a week later I started noticing itching/discomfort, stomach cramping, and a mild feeling of malaise (maybe). So I went to the university med clinic and the doctor looked at my hand and misdiagnosed my eczema as a herpetic whitlow. I told her that I was almost positive it was eczema since I've had it for ten years and she revoked the diagnosis immediately. Nonetheless I was on edge since that. I went to Urgent Care and had them evaluate it and it indeed was so. Anyways so I was off edge a little until I started having painful urination (this was recently) and stinging passing of feces. So I went back to Urgent Care and the doctor said it was probably something in the bladder and gave me Ciprofloxacin to fix it. It did nothing so two days ago I went to him and he said it is very rare that herpes causes painful urination or burning sensations in the urethra, but that it would be more of a really deep sore feeling (which I may of had as well). Anyways he gave me Doxycycline and it seems to have alleviated some of the pain during urination, but the stinging/itching rear end while defecating still persists. I really don't want to go to the doctor again since I've gone seven times in the last month and a half. Could anyone tell me their input on this matter? I've had no ulcers to my knowledge, although there may be a lump near my anus . . . ? I'm not really sure since it's kind of hard to check back there. Any info?

abe648 responded:
The one Doc said that you have a herpetic whitlow on your hand. Did that Doc do a swab/culture/typing of the whitlow and if so did they tell you if it was HSV 1 or 2 on your hand?

Herpes Whitlow is very rare as the skin on your hand is much tougher on your hand then genital skin. When you had sex with that gal did you finger her and also did you have any cracks or cuts on your hand that could have allowed herpes to enter your hand? The other symptoms do not sound like herpes. I would recommend that you go and get a type specific igg blood test for HSV 1 & 2 to see what your herpes status is.

Once you have that done ask for a copy of the numeric test results and post them on here so that someone can help you with knowing if you do or do not have herpes.

If the whitlow comes back on your hand then be seen in 48 hours some where and get the area swabbed/cultured/typed so you know for sure what that is on your hand.

See my signature line to learn more about herpes.
Read more in the Herpes Handbook. Watch the Herpes Video and Terri Warren's book The Good News about the Bad News. All located under the heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

Helpful Tips

How to Live With an STD
1. Be yourself, and be patient. No matter what situation it is you are going through, and don't ever let anyone make you feel bad about ... More
Was this Helpful?
32 of 39 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.