Skip to content

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Is it Herpes, please help?
An_247947 posted:
I will try to keep this short...

June 2012: small rash above my waist and I thought it was a bug bite.

Aug. 2012: 4 bumps that broke out into blisters almost in the same spot, maybe an inch higher. Went to the dermatologist, and he first looked at it and said it was a fungus. Then I mentioned that I had a bug bite near the same spot. He then said it was Herpes. I freaked out and asked him to have it tested. He cut a sample out of my belly and I made an appointment to come back and see him in 2 weeks.

Sept 2012: Return to dermatologist and he said it was Herpes. I asked which kind? He said, it doesn't matter, it is Herpes. I asked, can I see the test results. He said, I just looked at the sample under a microscope. I asked for a 2nd opinion and to have it sent to a lab so I could see the results.

Same Day: Left his office and went to an STD clinic and had a blood test for HSV2, waited 15 minutes and the doctor said it was negative.

The two incidents didn't look anything similar to each other and the 2nd one was the only one to blister. I did research on other diseases and the hot tub fungus looked just like the same as herpes symptoms.

Everything I've read said to wait 10-12 weeks after the first outbreak. According to my dates, I was tested 12.5 weeks after the first bug bite/rash. Could I still get a false negative result?

PossibleHypo responded:
Blood tests are hardly ever conclusive--the only truly accurate tests come from blisters/ulcers. If you were told it was herpes from a blister then it's probably herpes. Good thing is Herpes, from what all the doctors have told me, is not something to completely turn your life over for--if your outbreaks are minimal like you've stated then just avoid sexual contact during an OB and be very conscious of protection etc. when you do engage in sexual acts. Also be sure that you inform your partner and partake in suppressive therapy methods. You might have a visible outbreak once or twice a year, and with therapy maybe once every few years. Be aware that the Herpes virus can still be spread even when not visible--flare ups are not always visible and precautions should be taken whenever engaging in sexual acts. Research Herpes to get a broader understanding of what it is, the first outbreak is the worst--everything after that is no worse than a moderate case of Eczema or Poison Ivy. Good Luck bud.

pnormal replied to PossibleHypo's response:
I appreciate your feedback. How do I know if it is HSV1 or HSV2? I got test for HSV2 from the blood test and it came back negative. Does that mean it could still be HSV2?

PossibleHypo replied to pnormal's response:
Most definitely, blood tests are not nearly as conclusive as an actual sample from a blister/sore. You need to call your doctor/dermatologist and demand that he/she gives you the results from the test. It is actually illegal for him to withhold information--so go in there and get him/her to tell you what is up. Personally I think it's important to know just so you know where the most common problem areas are going to be and how to prepare for it when you feel an OB coming on. Your doctor should be giving you full detailed information on what exactly you are dealing with--it's not fair to leave you with a general diagnosis. Especially if a future vaccine is found that cures one of the strands; that would be great info to know.

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.