Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?



Having sex with HSV1 and 2
avatar
Needtoknow04 posted:
Can anyone tell me how to have satisfying sexual relations with my partner? We have been together for the past 6 months, he knows I have hsv 1 and 2, but have decided to stay with me and love to no matter what. Eventually, we want to have children and so I guess my real question has more to do with having a child than anything else. Are there any sexual contacts that should be avoided? Can hsv prevent you from conceiving easily? Help with these questions please, I am just really unsure of things right now.
Reply
 
avatar
abe648 responded:
to have a good sex life with HSV 2 is really no different than without. The only things you need to do is avoid sex if you have an ob and also be on suppressive therapy. Those two things will keep his risk to a 98% chance of not getting HSV 2. You could use a condom but that only brings it down to 1% more to a 99% chance of him not getting it. But if he loves you then do the of you want to use condoms all the time.

The other important thing is to make sure that you are well lubed when making love. HSV 2 can be more easily transmitted if there is heat and friction but if you are well lubed then that takes the friction out of it.

So really not a big deal when it comes to having childern as well. it would help you to get Terri Warrens book see my signature line for the details.
Read more in the Herpes Handbook. Watch the Herpes Video and Terri Warren's book The Good News about the Bad News. All located under the heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/
 
avatar
Needtoknow04 replied to abe648's response:
Thank you very much, this does help. It is very overwhelming at times to think about making love and making sure the person you love is protected. I have asked about suppressive therapy but my doctor does not think I need it at the moment. She says I am not having outbreaks and if I should start to have them frequently then we can do the pills. I will also get that book you spoke about.
 
avatar
abe648 replied to Needtoknow04's response:
Your welcome and you should at least have a R/x for each ob to that you can take something as soon as you get an Ob. That way you do not have to wait till you can see your Doc and can start taking them as soon as the ob starts. Ask more questions if you have them so we can halp you deal with your herpes and your love life. God Bless the two of you.
Read more in the Herpes Handbook. Watch the Herpes Video and Terri Warren's book The Good News about the Bad News. All located under the heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/
 
avatar
abe648 replied to Needtoknow04's response:
When it comes to having children I think that herpes does not make a difference when it comes to conception. Genital herpes is a virus that dwells in the nerve endings that support the genital area and is not in the blood stream. So you can just avoid sex when you have an ob and be on suppressive if you want to have normal sexual relationships. If you really want to protect your man then do ask your Doc for a R/x for suppressive therapy as it cuts the risk to him from 96% to 98% chance of him not getting it from you. It is a small difference but 2% is 2% and I can tell that you love your man and care about him. Those stats are from the Valtrex clinical trials when they wer done.

Just because you have genital herpes does not necessarily mean that he will get it. If you click on my Tiger avatar you will see how long I have had it and my wife still does not have HSV 2 and for years I did not know about Valacyclovir which is the generic of Valtrex. There are many couples who have been together for many years and still the other person does not have genital herpes. That is called a discordant couple where one has genital herpes and the other does not.
Read more in the Herpes Handbook. Watch the Herpes Video and Terri Warren's book The Good News about the Bad News. All located under the heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/
 
avatar
Needtoknow04 replied to abe648's response:
Thank you very much for this information. I did click on your tiger and it is amazing that after 30 years your wife is still without herpes. This gives me hope that I might have the opportunity to have a long and fulfilling relationship with my partner without getting him infected. Also, the time it took you to have an outbreak makes me feel a little better about the person that infected me. They might not have known and so I cannot dislike them for giving something to me that they didn't even know they had in the first place. The two men I was with before were both long-term relationships and I was never treated unkindly or abusively. They do both know about the virus I have and have been kind about it also. Therefore, I hope that I can give others good advice about how they feel about themselves and the person they are with now, and that might have infected them. We are human beings first, with goodness and love in us and not everyone is out to hurt or leave you if you are not perfect. Thank you very much for all your input.
 
avatar
abe648 replied to Needtoknow04's response:
As you have been helped and now understand that life goes on come back on here and learn as much as you can and help others through this tough time of life. You do not have to have all the answeres you just have to care and help people to cope and move on with life. YOu would be a welcome asset to this exchange. Abe
Read more in the Herpes Handbook. Watch the Herpes Video and Terri Warren's book The Good News about the Bad News. All located under the heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/


Helpful Tips

Reducing OB and itching woth Loratadin
I have had terrible hayfever and used a fairly new over the counter drug called Loratadin (costs £1 per packet) and to my astonishment my ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

  • Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.