Skip to content

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Genital herpes risk.
Dstunner posted:
Hello all, allow me to bring you up to speed.[br>[br>I've been dating this girl for less than a month now, and before we had sex she informed she is positive for HSV-2. When she dropped that bombshell I was naturally devastated and scared and rather ignorant of the virus. I did as much research as possible to become informed. [br>[br>She is a really great girl and I care for her alot. Last night is the first time we've had sexual intercourse. She is on Acyclovir shes been taking it since last Saturday for " suppressive therapy". Last night I wore two condoms and myself took Acyclovir and washed myself with anti-bacterial soap. How soon would I start noticing any symptoms? [br>I know I sound extremely paranoid. But It's better to be safe than sorry.

Quick questions:
1. Will taking Acyclovir help prevent transmission during sex? I was told by a doctor that it will. But I keep hearing conflicting stories.

2. How long will it take before the onset of HSV-2 is visible.

Thanks.

elle0317 responded:
Your chances of infection with her taking suppressive therapy and you wearing condon is 2%. BTW, you should not use 2 condoms at the same time, they can tear more easily that way. Using antibacterial soop is useless considering that HSV is a virus, not a bacteria. And by the time you go to wash yourself transmission would have already taken place, if it was transmitted to you. I'm not aware that you taking suppressive therapy would help reduce transmission. However, with a 2% infection rate, I highly doubt you would have it after one encounter.

For example: my husband has HSV2 & HSV1 and we have been together for 7 years, I'm still negative for both. We stopped using condoms a few years back, and he is not on suppressive therapy. We simply avoid sex if he has an outbreak, which is few and far in between.

As far as how long it would take to see symptoms would depend on the person, some show them 3-5 days after transmission, some take up to 10 years or longer, some never have an outbreak, but still carry the virus and can potentially transmit to their partners.

Helpful Tips

understanding
I'M A 44 YR OLD MOTHER WHO HAS BEEN MARRIED FOR ALMOST EIGHT YRS. MY HUSBAND IS CURRENTLY LOCKED UP AND I HAVEN'T BEEN WITH ANYBODY FOR 9 ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.