Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Genital herpes risk.
Dstunner posted:
Hello all, allow me to bring you up to speed.[br>[br>I've been dating this girl for less than a month now, and before we had sex she informed she is positive for HSV-2. When she dropped that bombshell I was naturally devastated and scared and rather ignorant of the virus. I did as much research as possible to become informed. [br>[br>She is a really great girl and I care for her alot. Last night is the first time we've had sexual intercourse. She is on Acyclovir shes been taking it since last Saturday for " suppressive therapy". Last night I wore two condoms and myself took Acyclovir and washed myself with anti-bacterial soap. How soon would I start noticing any symptoms? [br>I know I sound extremely paranoid. But It's better to be safe than sorry.

Quick questions:
1. Will taking Acyclovir help prevent transmission during sex? I was told by a doctor that it will. But I keep hearing conflicting stories.

2. How long will it take before the onset of HSV-2 is visible.

Thanks.

Maddie64 responded:
truthfully, you are reducing the risk but not stopping it. The skin all around the thighs and buttocks can shed the virus and even if she is symptom free she can still shed the virus. I would suggest going to the GUm clinic and see is you are immuine to it or whether you carry the virus yourself adn do not actually know.

It's tough, I do not know how youg you are but once you catch this virus you are STUCK with it for ever.

Dstunner replied to Maddie64's response:
At first I was very cautious about even having any exposed contact with her. I noticed it hurt her feelings and made her feel disgusting. So eventually I became more comfortable with her. I really do like this women, but in the back if my mind the question always is " is it worth putting yourself at risk?".

I'm already HSV-1 positive I'm asymptomatic. Never had a outbreak. But at 24 years old, I hope I didn't make the wrong choice by deciding to stick around with her.

abe648 replied to Dstunner's response:
To learn more read Terri Warren's book the Good News about The Bad News and this will help you to decide if this is what you want. If you love her then you need to decide where you stand and the book will give you all the odds what the risks are. click on my signture line below.
Read more in the Herpes Handbook. Watch the Herpes Video and Terri Warren's book The Good News about the Bad News. All located under the heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

Helpful Tips

What are the tests to be done for finding out Sexually transmitted diseases
Dear Sir I what to know, what are the tests are required to be done for finding out the sexually transmitted diseases? Kindly give reply. More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.