Hpv
An_247876 posted:
I am a 54 year old woman who has just been diagnosed with hpv. I have been married for 32 years and have always been faithful to my husband. My question is how long can this virus lay dormant? From all of the research I have done I cannot seem to get an answer. Can anyone help?

elle0317 responded:
How were you diagnosed? abnormal pap or did you develop genital warts?

chatti1929 replied to elle0317's response:
It was an abnormal pap

elle0317 replied to chatti1929's response:
It usually takes years after infection for HPV to be detectable on a pap test. If you or your husband has had other sex partners prior to marriage it may have come from there. There is not a set time limit as to how long this virus remains dormant, there are so many variables with people, like immune system, stressors etc....

chatti1929 replied to elle0317's response:
We were both in previous relationships before we met but that was 35 years ago. It's hard to believe that it could lay dormant and not show up on a pap until now. It seems as if no one really knows just how long th e virus could lay dormant.

awesome52 replied to chatti1929's response:
would it have made a difference if it had been genital warts, for the hpv to show up in that form? I know that hpv that shows up on a Pap can take a long time to show up, but what about hpv that causes genital warts?

elle0317 replied to awesome52's response:
The virus can lay dormant for years prior to an outbreak of warts as well.