Skip to content

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Hpv
An_247876 posted:
I am a 54 year old woman who has just been diagnosed with hpv. I have been married for 32 years and have always been faithful to my husband. My question is how long can this virus lay dormant? From all of the research I have done I cannot seem to get an answer. Can anyone help?

elle0317 responded:
How were you diagnosed? abnormal pap or did you develop genital warts?

chatti1929 replied to elle0317's response:
It was an abnormal pap

elle0317 replied to chatti1929's response:
It usually takes years after infection for HPV to be detectable on a pap test. If you or your husband has had other sex partners prior to marriage it may have come from there. There is not a set time limit as to how long this virus remains dormant, there are so many variables with people, like immune system, stressors etc....

chatti1929 replied to elle0317's response:
We were both in previous relationships before we met but that was 35 years ago. It's hard to believe that it could lay dormant and not show up on a pap until now. It seems as if no one really knows just how long th e virus could lay dormant.

awesome52 replied to chatti1929's response:
would it have made a difference if it had been genital warts, for the hpv to show up in that form? I know that hpv that shows up on a Pap can take a long time to show up, but what about hpv that causes genital warts?

elle0317 replied to awesome52's response:
The virus can lay dormant for years prior to an outbreak of warts as well.

Helpful Tips

understanding
I'M A 44 YR OLD MOTHER WHO HAS BEEN MARRIED FOR ALMOST EIGHT YRS. MY HUSBAND IS CURRENTLY LOCKED UP AND I HAVEN'T BEEN WITH ANYBODY FOR 9 ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.