Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

A few questions.
An_248192 posted:
Herpes simplex virus 1 and 2 .... Transmition .....
I read that the virus stays on the surface of things for 24hrs... but also is carried in infected saliva.... I get cold sores sometimes... I try to be as careful as possible... but it seems I can never be too careful just performing everyday tasks.
Seemingly silly maybe, but I am hoping by better understanding the transmition of these, from one surface to another ect. I can help protect myself better, as well as others..and give myself some peace of mind... so I can relax a little.

I never touch my lips when I have one. I keep my hands really clean.

But what about blankets touching my lip.... or having one on my chin, and trying to put on my shirt... and my chin touches the neck hole.. I try my best to make sure my lips dont touch my pillow. I dont share pillows when I have one. but sometimes it happens.... its best not to shower the first 3 days because water runs down but if you do, THE BIG QUESTION
What are the chances of it spreading from a surface, to your body?.. Or from your body, to another part of your body? Not only chances, but how does this happen? How can this happen? And is Anti- bacterial soap enough to help prevent the transmition of these?

I KNOW it seems that I am making a bigger deal out of this, than it needs to be, but with better understanding.. I may be able to live happier. and without fear.

I know I wrote a bit along with my questions, but please try to answer without skipping any, or as many as you can. Please and Thank you.

abe648 responded:
You are worring way to much. First of all herpes does not live outside of the body for very long.nor dose it live on inate objects. All you need to do is to wash your hands when you have touched a cold sore or your genitals when you have an ob. Soap and water will kill the virus when you wash your clothes and bed sheets e You can wash your clothes with other peoples clothes at the same time. Oral herpes does not really spread as easy as you think. And herpes does not get transfered to other parts of your body. Also your hand skin is to tough for it to get on your hands unless.

I think the best thing for you is to look at the info in my signature line and Terri Warrens Book would help you a lot.
God Bless you.
Read more in the Herpes Handbook. Watch the Herpes Video and Terri Warren's book The Good News about the Bad News. All located under the heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

MissCalifornia replied to abe648's response:
Thank you very very much for your response.. I will definately take a look at the link you posted below. You have definately helped me alot..Now please if you will elaborate for me... when you say it does not live on inate objects... see Iv'e read, it can survive outside the body for possibly up to 24 hrs.. would you please explain further. Also, when you say it doesn't transfer to other parts of your body.. is there an "unless" in there somewhere because I also read that it can..... please, I value your oppinion, and Thank you, for taking your time to help me.. and I don't mean to be a pain, but could you please further explain those two things? Thank you. God bless you as well.

abe648 replied to MissCalifornia's response:
From what i know it does not lieve outside the body for very long. I think that Terri's book would elaberate on that point.

I I guess it could be transfered to other parts of your body but that wiould be bery unlikely. If it did transfer it would have to be by you as the oral area and genital area's have two differn nerve systems and it will not travel in the body. each firus that you have will stay where it is. If I recall you have HsV 1 & 2 and so you would not have to worry about trasnmision as you have both types allready. This would also be coverred in Terri's book I would think. I hope that helps you.
Read more in the Herpes Handbook. Watch the Herpes Video and Terri Warren's book The Good News about the Bad News. All located under the heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

MissCalifornia replied to abe648's response:
Thank you, I don't have hsv 2.. I just get cold sores sometimes I guess that's why I wanted to know more about transmition. So I could prevent spreading...I will continue to read and look into the links you posted. Thank you for your time.

abe648 replied to MissCalifornia's response:
You are Welcome

Helpful Tips

How Can You Get Most Out This Community?
Hello members, Welcome to the STD community! Please feel free to post or join in any discussions on this community. Useful Tools WebMD ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.