Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Could kissing with cold sores trigger a HSV-1 outbreak in HSV-1 positive partner?
An_248344 posted:
I am just now recovering from my primary HSV-1 infection. That is to say, I was negative for HSV-1 until recently, when I got it for the first time, including awful flu-like symptoms and cold sores on my lip and mouth that are just now finally healing after 2 weeks.

My partner tests positive for HSV-1, although he rarely gets outbreaks (on his lips only).

My question is this: is there a risk to my kissing him now, when my cold sores are 90% healed, given that he is already HSV-1 positive? Could kissing him now trigger an outbreak? Or is kissing him nominally safe since he is already HSV-1 positive? I know I will refrain from oral sex until I am 100% healed since neither of us have a genital herpes infection and want to keep it that way.

abe648 responded:
Since boh of you have HSV 1 orally not a big deal to kiss him when evver. You do want to avoid oral sex it you have an ob or think one is comeing on. You could still get HSV 1 genitally. It would be good for both of you to get tested with a igg blood test for HSV 2. JUst because either of you do not show signs of HSV 2 you could still have it and not know it, Many people have HSV 2 and never have any idea they have it.
Read more in the Herpes Handbook. Watch the Herpes Video and Terri Warren's book The Good News about the Bad News. All located under the heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

Helpful Tips

What are the tests to be done for finding out Sexually transmitted diseases
Dear Sir I what to know, what are the tests are required to be done for finding out the sexually transmitted diseases? Kindly give reply. More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.