Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Quick question about herpes type one / cold sores
StacyVaughn posted:
If you already had genital herpes type 1 (no longer having break outs) and your partner gets cold sores when stressed out, could him giving you oral sex cause him to get a cold sore on his lip after wards?

georgiagail responded:
Yes.

Gail

StacyVaughn replied to georgiagail's response:
Is there a way around it? I feel bad having him do it if its going to give him a cold sore.. But I need oral at the same time.

nevar responded:
Stress alone is a trigger for outbreaks.

StacyVaughn replied to nevar's response:
Not quite my question. We both have type 1. Only I have it genitally, and he has it orally. With type 1 genially you're expected to have one-two out breaks the first year, than that's about it. It's really hard to find info on, so I'm not sure if more than two out breaks is normal, are they mild enough to go unnoticed? Are you contagious a certain amount of time before or after an outbreak? And than my question above, would him performing oral sex on me, when neither of us are having any symptoms, cause him to get a cold sore on his lip?

abe648 replied to StacyVaughn's response:
I would get him to get an type specific igg blood test for HSV 1 and HSV 2 so you know his status. If he comes back HSV 1 positive then I would not really worry about him getting HSv 1 orally as most likely he has it orally already. If he has HSV 1 antibodies in his system then you really do not need to worry as he already has the virus.
Read more in the Herpes Handbook. Watch the Herpes Video and Terri Warren's book The Good News about the Bad News. All located under the heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

StacyVaughn replied to abe648's response:
Thank you very much!

abe648 replied to StacyVaughn's response:
Your Welcome let us know how things go and what the results are.
Read more in the Herpes Handbook. Watch the Herpes Video and Terri Warren's book The Good News about the Bad News. All located under the heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

betsyo1967 responded:
if you have hsv1 genitally and your partner has hsv1 orally, your infections are totally independent. his performing oral sex won't trigger a hsv1 recurrence due to you having hsv1.

the "trauma" of performing oral can trigger a recurrence of hsv1 orally but it's not related to your hsv1 genital infection at all.

betsy
Talking about std testing is NORMAL and something we all should be doing EVERY TIME before we have sex with a new partner :)

Helpful Tips

Reducing OB and itching woth Loratadin
I have had terrible hayfever and used a fairly new over the counter drug called Loratadin (costs £1 per packet) and to my astonishment my ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.