Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

My partner just told me has Genitle Herpes, what do I do now?
An_248432 posted:
I am new to this site and really need some advise/help. i have been dating a very special man for 3 months now and he just told me that he has HSV2. we are very sexually active and I feel like i have been lied to. He has had this for 35 years and to him is no big deal. He has never infected anyone and is careful to use a condom when he feels that an outbreak may be coming on. I am in love with this man but I don't know anything about this virus. are there support groups i can go to, how do i ask him the important questions without sounding like I am judging him. No one asks to be infected, including ME. please help, i feel like I have found my soulmate and don';t want to walk away because of my ingnorance.

nevar responded:
Your partner was wrong for not telling you that he had HSV2 before you became sexually involved. It is hard for people that are infected with the virus to tell other people. You are judged so harshly.

According to statistics, 40% of the poplulation in the US is infected with the herpes virus. You have a better chance of getting it through casual sex then you do from a partner that uses the proper precautions when you have sex.

If you love this man, then that fact that hes got herpes doesnt need to be a deal breaker. There is plenty of information on the internet that can answer your questions.

If you love him and feel that hes your soulmate, then educate yourself and then have responsible sex with him taking all the precautions that are needed. There are medications that he can take that will reduce his occurances of outbreaks, Always use a condom. Never have sex when hes having an out break or feels hes going to have an outbreak. It hes had this virus for 35 years, he knows the symptoms when hes about to have an outbreak and when hes having one. No one with this virus wants to give it to anyone else.

I would be happy to answer any other questions that you have in PM or direct you to sites that will answer your questions.

abe648 replied to nevar's response:
The last poster has given you good advice and on top of that I would recomend that you read the Herpes Handbook and watch the video as per my signature line. That way you can become educated. If you want more info then buy Terri Warren's Book which has info on how to buy it at the same site.

Once you educate yourself and if you decide to stay with him then just love him. We all need love.

The chances of Male to female transmission is as follows
If you avoid sex when he has an ob the chances are 8-10% that you could get it over a year. If he adds suppressive therapy then it drops to 4-5% and if you use a condom then the risk drops to 2-3%.

I invite you to click on the Tiger Avatar and read my story.
God Bless the two of you.
Read more in the Herpes Handbook. Watch the Herpes Video and Terri Warren's book The Good News about the Bad News. All located under the heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

Helpful Tips

Reducing OB and itching woth Loratadin
I have had terrible hayfever and used a fairly new over the counter drug called Loratadin (costs £1 per packet) and to my astonishment my ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.