Skip to content

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

HSV2
DazedAndConfused posted:
Hello,
I have just met a guy and he has told me straight up he has HSV2.
What are my risks if i was to start a relationship?? Not that it will be for some time until I get to know him better.
I really like him, but I dont want to end up with it myself.
Should I run for the hills now ... or could this work??

I just need some good advice that has the pros and cons

I am going to see my doctor and get tested also ...

nevar responded:
First you have to give the guy credit for telling you straight up that hes got HSV2. His honesty has be commended.

Dont run for the hills. Yes it could work. I would think that you would want to wait some time to make sure that things between you will work. There is a slight risk that you could transmit the virus through safe sex. Given that risk you want to be sure this will be a long term relationship before starting a sexual relationship.

There are meds that he can take that will reduce his chances of outbreaks. You ALWAYS want to use a condom when having sex. Never have sex when hes having an outbreak or feels one coming on. If your partner is responsible (which it sounds like he is since he disclosed to you that hes got the virus), your chances of contracting the virus are very small.

According to statistics, 40% of the population in the US has the herpes virus. Your chances of getting the virus from casual sex is greater than getting it from a responsible partner that has the virus. You just need to practice safe sex every time you engage in sex.

There is a ton of information on the internet regarding the herpes virus. Educated yourself so you understand the virus and the precautions you need to take to protect yourself.

Give the guy a chance. Just hold off on sex until you are sure this is a special relationship.

abe648 responded:
The Male to Female transmission are as follows.
If you avoid sex when he has an ob then your chances of getting it is 8-10% over a year.
If he also uses a suppressive therapy then your odds of getting it is 4-5% in a over a year.

And if you add condom use to this picture then the odds of you getting it is 2-3% over a year.

To learn more read the info in my signature line.
Read more in the Herpes Handbook. Watch the Herpes Video and Terri Warren's book The Good News about the Bad News. All located under the heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

DazedAndConfused responded:
Thanks for the replies. I have found out that he uses the meds, will never engage when he has or feels an outbreak,

According to statistics, 40% of the population in the US has the herpes virus. Your chances of getting the virus from casual sex is greater than getting it from a responsible partner that has the virus... yes he told me this also. makes alot of sense!!

Lucky for me he works away alot so we get to spend alot of time talking and getting to know each other with out have the presure to have sex. I guess I have been quite lucky.

Thanks for all the advice and number crunching.... i feel i can now make a decision with a clear mind!!

abe648 replied to DazedAndConfused's response:
Herpes is most easily transmitted when there is heat and friction so if you are dry down yonder when you are making love then make sure that use a good lube to keep you lubricated so that there is no friction. That will also help to not spread HSV 2 you.
Read more in the Herpes Handbook. Watch the Herpes Video and Terri Warren's book The Good News about the Bad News. All located under the heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

Helpful Tips

What are the tests to be done for finding out Sexually transmitted diseases
Dear Sir I what to know, what are the tests are required to be done for finding out the sexually transmitted diseases? Kindly give reply. More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.