Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

performing oral sex with a partner who has HSV2
An_248500 posted:
I have heard all the scares of having to refrain from performing oral sex on a partner who has been diagnosed with the HSV2 virus or even having to use protection like a dental dam. But I want to hear from anyone who has been living with the virus and had experience in this area.

abe648 responded:
I have not had experience with this but have read many posts in years gone by. First of all from what I have gleaned on this site is that HSV 2 does not really like the oral area and apparently only 3% of people contract HSV 2 orally. Even if one does get HSV 2 orally the posts I have read indicate that HSV 2 orally does not have a lot of ob's. Apparently only about two ob's the first year I think if I recall. And then it is a bit like HSV 1 genitally in that it does not have a lot of obs after that.

If you are concerned and want to protect yourself then rubber dams may be hard to get and so the next best thing is to use a flavoured condom and that way you will protect yourself and you get to taste that great flavour if you are female. If you are male then just roll out the condom and cut it length wise and place the flavoured side out and lay it over the female's genitals to protect yourself. I do not know for sure but I think that Terri warren's book "The Good News about the Bad News" should have something about this in it. Details on how to get a copy are located in my signature line. Let me know if this helps you.
Read more in the Herpes Handbook. Watch the Herpes Video and Terri Warren's book The Good News about the Bad News. All located under the heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.