Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

just found out.
Norther posted:
I found out 2 days ago, that I have herpes. I am totally devastated. I've been reading up on this and am so worried.

My Doctor told me I may have had this for years - it just did not flare up until now.

I am so embarrassed, scared and all the emotions that can happen to one when they find out. Thoughts on life have not been too good.

Been searching the web trying to find anything and everything I can about this.

I have enough things going against me, that to add this is just .... can't even find words.

I'll keep reading on this site, look for positives and hopefully learn to live and deal with it.
FirstPrevious12NextLast

abe648 responded:
First of all from reading between the lines it sounds like you maybe thinking of suicide. If this is the case then I urge you to call your local suicide prevention line and talk to someone about this.

You say you have so much going against you. What is going against you? Tell us a bit more of what is happening in your life that you are having difficulty dealing with besides the herpes?

When it comes to herpes you can still live love laugh and be intimate. It is not the end of the world. Life will go on and you can have a normal sex life. Tell us a bit more about yourself. Are you male or female? Do you have a current partner? How were you diagnosed as having genital herpes. Was it a swab that was typed or was it a blood test? If it was an igg type specific blood test could you get a copy of the numeric test results so we can help you figure out what your status is.

Read the info in my signature line and give us more details so we can help you get through this tough time. God bless you
Read more in the Herpes Handbook. Watch the Herpes Video and Terri Warren's book The Good News about the Bad News. All located under the heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

Norther replied to abe648's response:
Hi. Thank you for replying to my post.

To tell you a bit about myself... I am a divorced 47 year old female. No children. I do not have a current partner, had not had a partner in almost 2 years. My doctor did a swab test on me.

I am the type of female that lives on affection. I have squished the heck out of my teddy bear for the last 2 years, just to have something to hold. (yes, I did type teddy bear).

To find out I have genital herpes is so difficult. Seriously, who would want someone like that? I try to always be positive, see things for the good. But how can someone see the "good" out of this?

Suicide - I won't lie and say it has not crossed my mind. Again, when that happens, I try to turn it around and see postive. I've looked into finding support groups, but the web only brings up dating sites of people with the same issue.

I will get the ebook on the books you mentioned. Or order them.

Just on a side note - I do believe in God. I have asked him over and over again....why... but you are right - he did "bless" me alright!.

abe648 replied to Norther's response:
I have just a few minutes so I would recommend that you gooble "herpes suport groups on yahoo
Read more in the Herpes Handbook. Watch the Herpes Video and Terri Warren's book The Good News about the Bad News. All located under the heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

Do you have any more questions? Did you find a support group at Yahoo?

I would recommend that you go back pages and pages perhaps 10 or more to read old posts where common quesstions come up over and over again.

If you have a specific question that we can ehlp you with then let us know. Life will go on and the good news is that the age you are at most guys even if they do not have GH then there prespective on life is more open to those who have problems as they may have their own problems and understand much better about life. God may have allowed this to bring you closer to him in this difficult time.

Hi. Thanks again for posting. I've been doing a lot of reading and the site has helped me a lot.

I'm in a much better state of mind. Still confused and a tiny bit angry. Looking forward to reading the books you have suggested.

With all that has happened, I realized, that I have had this virus pretty much since grade 4 when I had my first cold sore. If I can live with cold sores, I am sure I can live with gsores.

Still looking for a support group. Would prefer one that people met up for. Will keep searching on that one.

If you cannot find a support group come back here and we can help you and support you. God Bless you.

I'm not leaving. There is still so much for me to read on this site. Always learning from what other people have to say.

Just ask us any questions that you do not find an amswer to so we can help you.

icantbeleivethis responded:
nother
I can totally understand how you feel. I've posted on this site a few times. I found out back in March....want to talk about world spinning:( I could not wrap my brain around this. Yes, I cried. Yes, I worried. Yes, I try daily NOT to think about it. I can count on one hand how many people I've been with....I've been or should I say my doc has been my doc since I was in the single digits so I totally trust him, and he's excellent, and he knew I was not going to take the news well (and he was right)---the person I have been with since 2006 I left my doc's office and went directly to their location....just to give you some details: i went to the doc, because of pain during sex...what I thought was maybe a yeast infection turned out to be HSV2! I've never had anything type of STD,,,so I was sooo caught off guard...it was like someone had ran me over w a mack truck and I didn't even try to get out of the way! I did tell my other half...they stated they were not nor had any type of symptoms etc.....I'm provided them w/the info I had obtained from my doc...they had no insu:0.....It definitely put a strain on the relationship...as of today I don't think they have been tested....per my doc: I had been recently infected.......I understand the STD can be in ones system for yrs....I got that, but my brain, and every nerve in my body tells me (they infected me)......Prior to being w/them I had not been w/anyone in more than 10yrs...and my doc has always like I said been my doc......So, trust I know what he advised me of was the truth.....I take meds.....and like yourself I have things against me: underemployment etc....there are days tears well up in my eyes, and I just want to check out! But I pray, pray, and I pray: morning, noon, and night just to make it through....I do take meds everyday....I did stop, but I'm so stressed out w/other things going on in my life currently and that does not help the situation......I just say things will get better for me I say that all the time. I have to believe that.....as for relationship my focus is just on getting things in my life in order....anything other than that is just way over my head currently....Don't take your life....things will smooth out.....continue to pray.....this is a great site and the book they recommend is a good source of information........you can check it out at your local library........continue to visit the site it does help..

Norther replied to icantbeleivethis's response:
Hi. Thanks for the reply. I do visit the site, and read up on this lovely little gift.

I have no intentions of taking my life. I do have too much to live for. Just at the time, like you, it is like a truck hit me.

I'm lucky I do have a job with benefits, but the job is stressful and it does not help.

I started having sleeping issues, but will conquer that.

There are so many positive posts that people have written on the site, and that is what keeps helping me.

I do turn to the site, for advice etc. I don't know anyone where I live that is in the same situation.

Take care & talk with you again.

AnswerMePlease27 replied to Norther's response:
I just found out this afternoon that I have hsv-1 but, I am assuming it is genitally since I have been having so many issues down there. I feel so disgusted with myself. I knew something was wrong and it took 4 blood tests for it to finally show up after 10 months...
I hate myself right now... I don't know how I can ever be with anyone again and I haven't in a year almost but, now I don't want to. I don't understand how in June I tested completly negative and have NOT had ANY contact with anyone- not so much as a kiss and now I have positive results. This is a nightmare- every month I have had issues and kept being seen.. I am a single mom who devotes everything to my child and I don't sleep around but, I know that there is a stigma that goes along with this & I feel embarassed and worthless. Please any advice to help me through would be so appreciated. I just feel like it's the end of the world right now..

Norther replied to AnswerMePlease27's response:
I wish I had the advice to give you, but being new to this, I'm still looking for advice and answers myself.

This site helps me alot with trying to understand what has happened.

Focusing my thoughts and times elsewhere works too. It's so sad that as a society, we can be so judgemental on one.

Have you thought about maybe seeing a different doctor? I mean 10 months for them to finally get it right? It should not take that long I don't think. I may be wrong.

Remember, it's not the end of the world. You have a beautiful child to be with and love.

AnswerMePlease27 replied to Norther's response:
Thank you for your response. Writing to people who have no judgements helps and I agree 10 months is a LONG timmme!!

Im not sure if its the same with everyone- but, my pain is pretty much constant in my left leg, thigh, and buttocks... like all the time

Norther replied to AnswerMePlease27's response:
It is extremely helpful when you find people who won't judge you.

I am not sure on the pain in the leg and thighs. A friend I am chatting with says when their symptoms (sp) start, they get pain in their leg.

I do not know if this is common. Has your doctor tried you on different medication?

I've sat in epsom salt baths to help relieve the pain. It helped. And to hopefully give you a little smile, I read that someone used hand sanitizer to help to.

Well, promise me you won't try that. I did. Took my breath away. Not a good suggestion.

I'm just curious, but where are you from?

Take care & chat soon.

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.