Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Diagnosed HSV-1 today, help please!
AnswerMePlease27 posted:
I took a HSV 1 & 2 test in June and the results were 0.04 Igg for both which was negative. I just took a blood test monday which was positive HSV 1 for 1.69 and negative for HSV 2 <0.90 I have not had ANY type of sexual contact, not even a kiss since June... I have never had a cold sore. I have been having issues "down there" ...multiple yeast and bacterial infections. Is this why?? & please tell me how I went from such a low negative result in June to all of a sudden a positive in October with NO sexual contact. Please help me understand this and any advice please??
FirstPrevious12NextLast

abe648 responded:
Your HsV 1 is still a low positive and would recommend that you get a follow up in 3 months. f the rsults come back similar then you may want to get a Western Blot test for HSV 1. Even if it comes back positive for HSV 1 This is still not a big deal. Even if you have HSV 1 genitally you can still get HSV 2 genitally that is more of a worry. So if you become sexually active again make sure your now partenr gets a full STD testing including HSV 1 & 2.
Read more in the Herpes Handbook. Watch the Herpes Video and Terri Warren's book The Good News about the Bad News. All located under the heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

AnswerMePlease27 replied to abe648's response:
Hi abe thank you for the response. It feels like a big deal to me I have issues EVERY month near my menstrual cycle and it is torture!! It helps to hear it is a low positive and hopefully it could be a false one?? but, I doubt that very much seeing as how I have had pains and aches and issues every month.. I don't know how to deal with it. I guess that everything takes time, but I feel disgusted with myself and can't help but think--if i could turn back time... ugh!! Honestly, I feel like i NEVER want to become sexually active again and the idea of it makes me sick. Abe, thank you so much for your response it means sooooo much to me. Gives me a little hope. thanks!

abe648 replied to AnswerMePlease27's response:
I answered you in your post :just found out" but would recommend that you make all replies on this post so I can help you with your personal issues. Like I said this does not all sound like herpes and would recommend that you go and see your Doc for further testing as I had said.
God bless you and we are here to thelp you. keep telling us how you feel
Read more in the Herpes Handbook. Watch the Herpes Video and Terri Warren's book The Good News about the Bad News. All located under the heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

Sorry about the duplicates- My computer keeps freezing up on me & I don't think they are posted and then "wha-la" they are. Not trying to be a pain in the butt...Im not the best with technology unfortunatly. I appreciate you guys listening to how I feel because for the past 10 months I have felt completly alone. I've only consoled in my mother & while I know she "tries" to help.. She thinks I want her to solve my problems- but I just need someone to listen. Quite honestly- it's making me hate myself. I don't know how to not right now... I don't know.

It is ok about the duplicate. Just keep asking questions and go and see a Doc who has knowledge of herpes. If you are in a larger center then google "The Herpes Homepage" I have not been there for a while but when the page comes up there is a slider on the left side of the page and slide id down and the very last item is a list of Doc's in different cities that know about herpes. God Bless you.

hopefaith515 responded:
HSV 1 is an oral herpes strand of the virus.
HSV 2 is the genital strand of the virus.
Both are virus' and we are ALWAYS contagious!

Oral herpes is a common infection of the mouth area. It is caused by the herpes simplex virus type 1 (HSV-1). Most people in the United States are infected with this virus by age 20.

After the first infection, the virus goes to sleep (becomes dormant) in the nerve tissues in the face. Sometimes, the virus later "wakes up" (reactivates), causing cold sores.

Herpes virus type 2 (HSV-2) usually causes genital herpes . However, sometimes HSV-2 is spread to the mouth during oral sex, causing oral herpes.

Herpes viruses spread easily. You can catch this virus if you have intimate or personal contact with someone who is infected. You can also catch it if you touch items infected with the herpes virus, such as infected razors, towels, dishes, and other shared items. Parents may spread the virus to their children during regular daily activities.

AnswerMePlease27 replied to hopefaith515's response:
I am FREAKING out right now. Is it accurate that it can be passed from towels?! I have a child- the last thing I want to do is infect my child!! Then I would REALLY hate myself.

elle0317 replied to hopefaith515's response:
This is not correct information. I've lived with my husband who has HSVI and II for 2.5 years and we have been toegther a total of 7 years. I don't have either one. You are not ALWAYS contagious, if they were I would have had it by now. Also, you cannot transmit through sharing towels, dishes etc... the virus is fairly delicate and dies quickly when exposed to air.

AnswerMePlease27 replied to elle0317's response:
thank you Elle- that upset me so much.

elle0317 replied to AnswerMePlease27's response:
I know it did, that's why I had to put my 2 cents in.

AnswerMePlease27 replied to elle0317's response:
I appreciate it!

I just was wondering - the hsv 1 igg did not show up over a period of 10 months. Prior to that it was always negative.. my question is how long does it take for an igg to show up?? Why wouldn't it have shown prior to that? & how you said "1.69 is a low positive result"... would it be high if it was aquired 10 months ago?? sorry to ask a million questions

It normally takes 3 months to get a fairly accurate reading on an igg blood test at the outset it would be most accuarate at the 6 month period.

Like think i said earlier that you may want to get another HsV 1& 2 igg blood test and see what it comes back as. Ask for a copy of your test results and post them here so someone can confirm where you stand and what to do next.

An_248857 replied to hopefaith515's response:
Hi, my 2 year old and I contracted Primary Herpetic Gingivostomatisis (HSV-1) from another child we were playing with. First my child got it, then I did. I have it worse than she did, and her mouth is mostly normal - meaning almost no more inflammation, and she is eating again. I have all the symptoms from what I have googled...super swollen and painful, cold sores on my tongue, cheek, lip, can't eat solid foods, headaches, etc. This has nothing to do with Genital Herpes (HSV-2), and neither of us would have any reason to get that anyway. Husband does NOT have Oral Herpes or Genital Herpes, and it totally didn't come from him.
I am wondering if this means now he will be infected the next time we kiss or are intimate. I am very worried and upset about contracting this virus (( I really don't want to infect my husband, and obviously I don't want my child and I to have it...but that is already a done matter. Does anyone have any data on this? Again, I'm wondering if this now means my husband will get this virus and the same reaction (or other reaction). Does this also mean oral sex is history, unless both of us want to get it?

Helpful Tips

What are the tests to be done for finding out Sexually transmitted diseases
Dear Sir I what to know, what are the tests are required to be done for finding out the sexually transmitted diseases? Kindly give reply. More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 1 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.