Skip to content

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

HSV1 negative swab positive blood??
chicaj032000 posted:
so i went to the doctor for a lesion that i had noticed near my vaginal opening. it itched and it looked white.. no blister no pain during urination.. i went to my obgyn as soon as i noticed it. she did a swab test on it and it came back negative.. but i was still not relieved because i wanted to know a straigh answer as to why i had a lesion in the first place! i asked to have a blood test, i got the results in today and it came back positive for HSV1?? does that mean i have genital herpes because the swab was a false negative?? ive been in a relationship for over a year and i just noticed this?? we have sex always unprotected.. should i assume he has it now too?? should i tell him?? im scared he is going to freak out and leave me or just totally ruin our sex life :[
i sometimes get tingling and warm sensations and a bump show up on my lips(mouth) every so often but it never fully develops a blister.. is that a herpes outbreak?? if so would the positive HSV1 test be from oral herpes and not genital??
im so confused?

elle0317 responded:
That's probably the largest problem with blood tests, they can't tell you the location of the infection, only that you have it. Most people have HSV1 in the form of oral herpes, contracted when they were children.

Never assume your b/f has it by now, have him get tested too. You would be surprised at the amount of discordant couples who have been together for years without transmission.

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.