Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Herpes Do's and Don't in Lesbian Relationship
An_248854 posted:
Just this past month, I found out that I have genital herpes. I contracted it from my partner. I was shocked and confused how it could have happened. My doctor asked if my partner gets cold sores, to which I replied yes. She then explained to be that its possible for it to spread it from the mouth to the genitals without knowing when there are no symptoms or signs. I was prescribed Valtrex and went through my initial outbreak. I read about how to protect myself and partner when being intimate with gloves and dental dams, but was trying to keep some sort of normalcy as she feels really guilty about it all. If we both have the same strand with the exception of location and are not experience an outbreak, can she perform oral sex on me without a dam? Would it have any effect on either of us? Would it make it worse? Also, when using her hands, what if she washes her hands right after? We are also being cautious not to spread it on locations that don't have it.

abe648 responded:
You most likely will ahave no issues as long as you avoid contact when one of you has an ob. You both appear to have the same HsV 1 I presume and so you both have the HSV 1 antibodies in your system and you would not make it worse.
Read the Herpes Hanbook and watch the video as per my signature line.
Read more in the Herpes Handbook. Watch the Herpes Video and Terri Warren's book The Good News about the Bad News. All located under the heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

An_248928 responded:
Confirm if you both have the same type, then consult a medical professional who can properly advise you. These sites are a great support tool and for general advice, and to reassure you that you are not alone with this. But do not take as prescription what other people on here think if they are not doctors specializing in infectious diseases or reproductive health.

Helpful Tips

Reducing OB and itching woth Loratadin
I have had terrible hayfever and used a fairly new over the counter drug called Loratadin (costs £1 per packet) and to my astonishment my ... More
Was this Helpful?
2 of 2 found this helpful

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems to the
Food and Drug Administration

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.