Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    Oral Herpes and having a child
    An_248857 posted:
    Does having HSV1 (Oral) mean I have to have a C-Section when I have a child? Really bummed. Please send me any helpful information you can summon Going through Primary Herpetic Gingivostomatisis, which my child and I both got from another child, and it is super painful and unbearable. Does this mean I also will have this reaction for the rest of my life? And my child? And will my spouse get this as well if/when we kiss? Have sex? Oral sex? So upsetting.
    georgiagail responded:
    No; if the HSV is limited to the oral cavity there is absolutely no reason to have a C-section during childbirth. The virus is not located in your genital area.

    Outbreaks can be painful and typically last 2 weeks. How frequently these occur is highly variable. Many adults go years between outbreaks. The virus is easily passed on (which you have found out) and many carry the virus.


    Helpful Tips

    Don't waste time on this site.
    Please do not embarrass yourselves with asking these virtual medical advice people anything real important. I didn't even get an answer. More
    Was this Helpful?
    0 of 2 found this helpful

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.