Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

New to this but dealing with it.
theblessedchild posted:
I found out today that I have HPV, and I have spend the last 5 hours doing my research. Although, my doctor said I won't have it forever, it looks like it is not proven to be true. Most people that contact the virus, bodies fight it off after 6 months to 2 years, and they never know they have it, but it may be that it is so dormant that it is undetectable, which makes the contagiousness almost impossible. But all I can think is what if I am not like most people. I have a low risk strand, which is a blessing in itself, I can deal with warts, but cancer scares me. I just made 24 years old. But I am also not like most people already, I haven't had sexual contact with anybody in nearly 2 years, and just started receiving symptoms two months ago (unusual right). Also, my because fear in the world was contracting an STD. So the last time I had sex it was unprotected which I did not consent too (not that that would have matter much because apparently you can get HPV with condoms). After discovering it was unprotected, I was tested for every kind of STD my doctor offered except sphyllis. And I waited 6 months after that encounter to get another HIV test, and everything was fine. I had been to the doctor 3 times to get on bumps or lesions in my genital area and each time my doctor tested it for my comfort, even thought they knew it was just a razor bump, or laceration from an unclean razor, and everything came back fine. But I decided I would become abstinent because I was too afraid of getting an STD, and I felt I just couldn't trust people to be up front and honest. So when I got these few tiny bumps, I passed it off as I am just being paranoid again, and I'll just ask about during my annual exam. While got that today, and I asked about the bumps and my doctor told me that it was HPV. He said well normally you have symptoms in a month to three months, but on occasion it can lay dormant for a while, and something may trigger it. That is what makes me feel like mine will last forever, because most people's immune system fight of the virus after 2 years,but I did not get any symptoms until nearly 2 years after exposure. Does that mean that this is just another flare up? And I am one of those people whose immune system can not fight it off? I don't know, and apparently no one can tell me. But I guess it could have been worse, and I guess I am remaining abstinent for the rest of my life.

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.