Skip to content

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Is this herpes?
divers217 posted:
I have had itching tingling feeling in my genitals for a few weeks. My doctor says with herpes, the tingling lasts a day or two and then there are sores. I have no sores, just constant itching and tingling. I have tried many diferent types of anti fungal cream to no avail.

It also seems to get worse in the evening. I get the pins and needles feeling in my genitals, and occasional some prickly sensations. It mostly feels dry and prickly.

I have gotten blood tests, but they all come back negative. I am aware, that it may be too soon after exposure to see results though. So right now, I'm living in agony.

Has anyone had similar symptoms? My doctor things I'm paranoid, but put me on some anti-viral meds. It seems like they calm it down a bit, but its hard to tell if its psychological or not. The sensations sometimes come and go, or atleast go from mild to worse.

I'm curious if anyone has experienced this and was eventually diagnosed with Herpes. Could it be that I have it and just don't have full outbreaks? It has been about 5 weeks of this tingling, prickly feeling.

abe648 responded:
First of all colds etc get worse at night.

This does not soumd like herps. The tingling is common with herpes but by now you should have had some water filled bblisters and you say you do not.

I would refier you to mu signatuer line to read .
Read more in the Herpes Handbook. Watch the Herpes Video and Terri Warren's book The Good News about the Bad News. All located under the heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

divers217 replied to abe648's response:
I have heard that you can have the tingling without an outbreak, or atleast it takes a long time. If colds can get worse at night, why not other viruses like herpes?

abe648 replied to divers217's response:
If this is really recent event then I would wait for about 3 montths and then get a Western Blot that I think you can get at some labs but if not then google the U of Washington to see hou you go about getting a kit so that you can be properly tested.

Usually if you are getting tingling youu usually should be getting an ob at some point amd if this is a recent infection then by from what you describe you should have had some type of ob by now. .

There are those who have no symptoms and still have hsv but thes people do not have tingling. Tingling is a comon thing when it comes to HSV but it usually has an ob to go with it. So I find it odd that you are having tingling and no ob's at all from what you describe. An ob will give an infection and after a while it will get a water type substance that will break and the fluid wil run out. From what you describe this is not happening to you.
Read more in the Herpes Handbook. Watch the Herpes Video and Terri Warren's book The Good News about the Bad News. All located under the heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

I should also mention that I've tried anti-virals twice, plus been on and off lysine, which some doctors claim is useless, but some w/ H claim very helpful. Is it possible that the anti-virals have kept it from fully manifesting? It doesn't seem to go beyond that point wether I'm on them or not, but it might affect the tingling a bit.

I thnk that Lysine is not worth the money. REad about it in the Herpes Handbook as per my Siignature line.

For Suppressive thearpy to be effective you need to take it all the time but from what you hav postted it seems like it may not be herrpes like your Doc explained to you. There is nothing to do till you either get an ob or get a Western Blot test to se what your status is.

Thanks for your reassuring words.

I'm just about 7 weeks from exposure. I'd like to do some testing soon, but I just got off valacyclovir a few days ago, and I have heard you need to wait a month to test, or it can skew the results.

That is my understanding as well. You have to be off of antivirals for I think it is a month as well to get a proper reading.

In your initial post you said that you had a blood test done. Could you call you Doc's nurse and ask for a copy of the numeric test results if it was a type specific igg blood test.

That way I may be able to help you with what that test said. If the nurse gives you numbers for an igm blood test DO NOT post them as this is an inaccurate test for HsV 1 & 2.

The results should read something like this Hsv igg 1 is . 80 and HSV 2 igg is 2.10 or what every they tell you.

Also remember that when you think you have herpes it could be many other things for you gals like some type of bacterial infection or some other type of infection. So if you have not looked at this angle you may want to get things looked at and a swab taken to see if you have some other issues going on down yonder as you Doc said (I do not know how he worded it) but he seems to feel that this may not be herpes

I believe it was:
HSV 1 .12
HSV 2 .06
But tihs was at 2 weeks after exposure.

I redid an IGM that came back negative at 0.91 at 4 weeks, but know its inaccurate and it I had been on acyclovir at week 3, which might have affected it.

I went on valacyclovir at week 6 for a few days. Its now week 7 and I was going to get retested and found out the meds can skew it, so its a waste of time. So i'm totally hopeless here.

I am a man, so a lot of the issues women face, aren't totally relevant to me. I doc did put me on anti-biotics for a few days, and I've used all kinds of anti fungal meds.

The more research I do, the more I am finding people with H who have very similar experiences as me, so its hard to not be pessimistic at this point, unless someone can suggest something else it might be, I have to assume there is nothing else left it can be.

I've even found people at 4 months who'[ve had outbreaks, and still test negative. Its really frustrating how bad the science is, and how ignorant the doctors I've seen seem to be about it all.

If your are amale then all the things about female infections do not apply to you.

If your readings wer as fopllows:

HSV 1 is .12
HSV 2 is .06

I am not amedical professiional but fromw what I have learned from this site at the time of testing both would be negative.

I would wait till the three month level from exposure and then get the Western Blot test done as i said earlier.

Yes Doc's might get 15 minutes of training on herpes when taking there Doc courses so unless the Doc looks into it more later the do not get alot of exposure to what herpes is.

Once you get your Western Blot done post the results on here.
Abe ... Read more in the Herpes Handbook. Watch the Herpes Video and Terri Warren's book The Good News about the Bad News. All located under the heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

whatupyo responded:
I have these same symptoms and have been at a loss to find any answers. All my Herpes blood tests (2, 4, 8, 17 weeks) have come back negative but have not idea what else it could be. Did you ever test positive and what ever resulted? Thank you so much!

Helpful Tips

understanding
I'M A 44 YR OLD MOTHER WHO HAS BEEN MARRIED FOR ALMOST EIGHT YRS. MY HUSBAND IS CURRENTLY LOCKED UP AND I HAVEN'T BEEN WITH ANYBODY FOR 9 ... More
Was this Helpful?
1 of 2 found this helpful

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.