Skip to content

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

How accurate is a PCR for HSV1 and HSV2 testing?
An_246312 posted:
I will provide full history for most accurate insights:

in january i felt discomfort near my clitoris. When I went to look I had amost a pea sized swelling right under the hood on inner labia. it was not painful to touch and was not blister like or thin skinned - it was swollen circular and a bit hard to touch. i monitored it for a few days the skin looked like it has a tear not circular almost linear. did not crust or leak. i went to the dr who examined it pressed on it a bunch of times tries to make it express by queezing it. Conclusion: its a pimple sometimes they happen down there. went away on its own. no other issue for months. Said it is not herpes even by the way it looks. non-characteristic. non painful.

last sexual contact prior to that was in october, condom was used.

5 months later a second apprarance this time on the lower inner labia. same side. This sime was a bit more irritated still felt more like a papercut or annoyance then painful. went to the doctor who then ordered a PCR specific for HSV1 and HSV2 by blood test. put me on antivirals and cream and told me to return in 7 days for results. the treatment did not have an impact on the healing process (same like my january experience). the blood test came back negative and he said this is highly highly accurate. Took me off meds and said i must just be very sensitive and things change over time (I am 32) with hormone levels and age and so it could just be infected sebacious glands.

Then it happened again one month later, then two months... same spot - same description. - single solid inflamed area on inner labia no blistering or oosing sometimes on close examination i see a line like cut on the skin but no water comes out. other times none at all just resolves within a week or two.

.. he said its likely related to my IBS or other skin sensitivities i have ( I have excema dianosed many years ago but have acute outbreaks every few years that i manage but never had it in my vaginal area before)

I started to loose confidence in my dr so i went for a second opinion. I just today.

Dr. has ordered HSV 1 and HSV2 igG and igM tests.

My question is this: What could this be? how accurate are the PCR blood tests for HSV 1/2 the first time around (given the first occurrance was in January and second in May) and as i wait for my results a second time around. How likely is this HSV1/2?

abe648 responded:
I am not familiar with a PCR test but from what I have read in the past I think it is quite accurate. The symptoms you are describing do not sound like herpes either. Usually herpes will build up with fluid in a small sack and then it will break and drain and then heal. So from what you are telling me does not sound like herpes.

When you get the blood tests for the Igg type specific blood test ask for a copy and post the values on here. Forget the igm blood test as it is not accurate.

All we need from the igg blood test is the values something like this HSV 1 is 1.20 and HSV 2 is .85 or what ever they tell you. Take care.
Abe
Read more in the Herpes Handbook. Watch the Herpes Video and Terri Warren's book The Good News about the Bad News. All located under the heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

njerisals replied to abe648's response:
That is a releif. Maybe I am wrong on the PCR i remember he took me through the results and it was 4 lines - all were negative and one looked for virus the other antibodies. In all cases the repeat test i did i will share

I have a best firend who is living with GH and she told me my symptoms dont sound like it at all.

What could this be. The first dr i said just said i have to deal im just sensitive down there. but i dont beleive it.

An_246312 replied to njerisals's response:
I think i am misinfomred the test that my Dr did had 4-line results - two - for HSV1 two for HSV2 does this sound like a PCR or the igG/ IgM. I have only ever seen a Gyn about this. not a GP..... the first gyn closely visually examined on 3 sperate occasions saying its not herpes. but did the test after the second occurance at the 5 month mark. which came negative. [br>[br>I have been so scared to go back to get my results from the latest test. But i got another recurrance. this one two weeks frm the last. lower inner labia. swelling of the tissue into small circular bumps. no leaks, not watery, but skin gets a bit raw there. - not painful to touch. but prior to the bumps it feels like there is a lot of friction down there. [br>[br>There are only two sites this occurs. directly under clitoal hood - and at the very bottom of the inner labia - both on the right left side only. bumps is always one under the skin round swelling, doesnt water up or blister. if the skin breaks it doesnt ulcer per say, rather it looks like the skin is broken - maybe like a small linear tear. then sweling subsides ... the whole thing takes a week on average. when there is a noticable discarge from the site, especially the one near the clitoris- it is a semi-solid almost sticky - not watery, and not pus. Sometimes not alwasy there is some discomfort prior to the lump surfacing- like i feel as if there has been friciton in that area on the skin or its a bit sensitive to pressure - feels more like irritation than pain. lymph nodes always swollen on the left side of groin. no other body symptoms. no fever . [br>[br>this is all started in January 2012, then became recurring from may almost monthly sometimes twice a month. just in those two spots. last sexual contact prior to all this was with a condom in Oct 2011. [br>[br>could this be dermitological? i have a history of IBS, and skin issues including eczema, including strange patterns on my tongue - particularly on the sides and tip- not on hte top. no oral herpes blisters ever. Could this be a dermitological link - in my online research i saw lichen planis but do the symptoms match? [br>[br>What could this be? [br>

njerisals replied to abe648's response:
I think i am misinfomred the test that my Dr did had 4-line results - two - for HSV1 two for HSV2 does this sound like a PCR or the igG/ IgM. I have only ever seen a Gyn about this. not a GP..... the first gyn closely visually examined on 3 sperate occasions saying its not herpes. but did the test after the second occurance at the 5 month mark. which came negative. [br>[br>I have been so scared to go back to get my results from the latest test. But i got another recurrance. this one two weeks frm the last. lower inner labia. swelling of the tissue into small circular bumps. no leaks, not watery, but skin gets a bit raw there. - not painful to touch. but prior to the bumps it feels like there is a lot of friction down there. [br>[br>There are only two sites this occurs. directly under clitoal hood - and at the very bottom of the inner labia - both on the right left side only. bumps is always one under the skin round swelling, doesnt water up or blister. if the skin breaks it doesnt ulcer per say, rather it looks like the skin is broken - maybe like a small linear tear. then sweling subsides ... the whole thing takes a week on average. when there is a noticable discarge from the site, especially the one near the clitoris- it is a semi-solid almost sticky - not watery, and not pus. Sometimes not alwasy there is some discomfort prior to the lump surfacing- like i feel as if there has been friciton in that area on the skin or its a bit sensitive to pressure - feels more like irritation than pain. lymph nodes always swollen on the left side of groin. no other body symptoms. no fever . [br>[br>this is all started in January 2012, then became recurring from may almost monthly sometimes twice a month. just in those two spots. last sexual contact prior to all this was with a condom in Oct 2011. [br>[br>could this be dermitological? i have a history of IBS, and skin issues including eczema, including strange patterns on my tongue - particularly on the sides and tip- not on hte top. no oral herpes blisters ever. Could this be a dermitological link - in my online research i saw lichen planis but do the symptoms match? [br>[br>What could this be? [br>

abe648 responded:
If you had your first test in May and your last sexual contact was in January then that should be enough time to get an accurate reading from th PCR

What you describe does not sound like herpes. So I would recommend that you set an appt with you GYNY the next time you get these items forming. When you get to meet with your GYNY ask your GYNY if you could have two swabs with the necessary paper work to take to the lab. That way a soon one of them breaks on you can swab the area and take it into the lab and make sure that they culture/type it so that you will know what it is that is bothering you. The reasons why you want two swabs is so that you can do a one swab for the one near your clitoris and the other for your labia. make sure that you label each so you know what results are from what area.

I am not to familiar with female issues and not to knowledgeable with other STD'S so I would recommend that you post at the Women>so Gyny Exchange. here is the link.

http://exchanges.webmd.com/gynecology-exchange

Give a very brief explanation of whirr your concerns are and then place this link into your post

http://forums.webmd.com/3/sexual-conditions-and-stds-exchange/forum/10502/3

so they can read what we have been talking about. This link will open this post for them to read.

Please let me know what you find out so I can learn from what you are going through.Also let me know what your new GYNY has to say as well.
Abe ... Read more in the Herpes Handbook. Watch the Herpes Video and Terri Warren's book The Good News about the Bad News. All located under the heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

abe648 replied to njerisals's response:
I found this item on Herpes testing and it has a very little bit about PCR testing. Hope this helps you.

http://www.webmd.com/genital-herpes/herpes-tests
Abe ... Read more in the Herpes Handbook. Watch the Herpes Video and Terri Warren's book The Good News about the Bad News. All located under the heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

An_246312 replied to abe648's response:
Hi I know its been long since I posted this. I went for repeat testing with a new gyn. they did the igg/igm testing for both HSV-1 and HSV-2

HSV-1 test was positive and my dr said that almost universal as most of us have cold sores. HSV-2 negative. So he said my diagnosis of herpes is a firm negative, I even showed him what it looks like when I get an irritation and he said 100% its not.. but he isnt able to say what it is exactly a non-specific irritation could be excema could be allergy... Should I be confidant at this point?

abe648 replied to An_246312's response:
Ask your new GYN for a copy of the numeric results of the test from the testing he/she did for herpes. Ignore the IgM test results just give me the IgG blood test results which I believe should be given in the type of testing you had done.

That way I can comment on the latest tests. Thank you
Abe ...I am not a medical professional. Read the Herpes Handbook, Watch the Video and Terri Warren's book is availible umder the Heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

abe648 replied to An_246312's response:
From what I recall the PCR is a good test and is accurate.

I have thought about the PCR and I am wondering if there is actual numerical results like the IgG type specific blood test. Call the GYN'S nurse and see if PCR'S do come with numeric test values. If they do ask for them if not then you will have to rely on what you stated above that you are HsV 1 positive and HSV 2 negative. If what ever is bothering you still like you say then either ask for swabs so you can swab yourself when these issues bother you like I said way above in a reply to you. Or make arrangements to be seen the same day by your GYN when you call to say that what ever is bothering you bothers you. So your GYN can see it for him/herself. If the GYN still says that it is nothing then I would book an appt with a Dermatoligist to see if it is some type of skin issue.
Abe ...I am not a medical professional. Read the Herpes Handbook, Watch the Video and Terri Warren's book is availible umder the Heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

Helpful Tips

Std
Hello, i realy don't want to say my name but im shure you know who i am ,my problem is im a gay 41yr old man my ex boyfriend gave me an ... More
Was this Helpful?
0 of 1 found this helpful

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.