Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

Unprotected oral sex.
Durden16 posted:
I recently received unprotected oral sex for a duration of 20 seconds. I am worried about stds, and had a screening 3 days after possible exposure, all of which came back negative. It is now 7 days after my mistake and i am still worried. I haven't been able to eat or sleep well due to the worry. What should be my next course of action? I have a slight pain in my testicles and possible phantom pain in my urethra, although not during urination.

My doctor scheduled me for a follow up no sooner then 3 months for an additional HIV screen, but no other further std screening.

georgiagail responded:
Quite honestly, there is no real need for further HIV testing. Unprotected oral sex carries an estimated risk of .5 to 1 per 10,000 exposures with a source KNOWN to carry the virus.

Your risk would be less since you do not indicate whether your partner was even HIV positive and the episode lasted only 20 seconds.

Your next course of action is to put the concern over HIV behind you and move on.

Gail

Durden16 replied to georgiagail's response:
That puts my HIV fears to rest. Thank you for that. Would it be prudent to get further std screens for other diseases?

georgiagail replied to Durden16's response:
You can if, by doing so, your worries are put to rest but quite frankly, your partner would need to have had these STD's in their oral cavity for transmission to have taken place during this very brief oral contact.

POSSIBLY the biggest risk would be HSV (i.e., herpes) since most adults already carry HSV1 (i.e., "oral herpes) already, having picked this virus up in childhood.

Gail

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.