Skip to content


    Exciting News for WebMD Members!

    We've been busy behind the scenes building new message boards for you. You'll have new and easier ways to find messages, connect with others, and share your stories.

    And, this will all be available on your smartphone or other mobile device!

    What Do You Need to Do?

    The message board you're used to will be closing in the coming weeks. While many of your boards will be making the move to our new home, your posts will not. Want to keep a discussion going? Save posts you want to continue (this includes your member profile story), so that you can re-post them in the new message boards.

    Keep an eye here and on your email inbox, we'll be back in touch soon to give you all the information you need!

    Yours in health,
    WebMD Message Boards Management

    HPV in a monogomous relationship
    An_249322 posted:
    I have been married for 12 years. I just tested positive for HPV in my latest pap. My pap last year was negative for hpv. I have always been faithful to my husband. How can I have hpv? my dr said it's sexually transmitted. Can it have been dormant all this time until now - either in my or my husband? I honestly would never believe he would cheat on me??

    I'm so upset and confused and my husband is unreachable at work until noon and I'm starting to freak out.
    elle0317 responded:
    You likely contracted it years ago. Cervical cell changes due to HPV normally takes years after the initial infection before it's detecable during a pap. Pap only tests for cervical changes due to HPV, it does not look for the actual virus in your body.

    There is a chance that your husband had it prior to meeing you and gave it to you, or you could have picked it up from a partner before meeting your husband. Unfortunately you will never know where it came from, unless you were a virgin prior to marriage. HPV is the most common STD out there and often times men will carry and pass this along without the obvious symptom of genital warts.

    Helpful Tips

    Don't waste time on this site.
    Please do not embarrass yourselves with asking these virtual medical advice people anything real important. I didn't even get an answer. More
    Was this Helpful?
    0 of 2 found this helpful

    Helpful Resources

    Be the first to post a Resource!

    Related Drug Reviews

    • Drug Name User Reviews

    Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

    FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.