Skip to content

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

HPV in a monogomous relationship
An_249322 posted:
Hello,
I have been married for 12 years. I just tested positive for HPV in my latest pap. My pap last year was negative for hpv. I have always been faithful to my husband. How can I have hpv? my dr said it's sexually transmitted. Can it have been dormant all this time until now - either in my or my husband? I honestly would never believe he would cheat on me??

I'm so upset and confused and my husband is unreachable at work until noon and I'm starting to freak out.

elle0317 responded:
You likely contracted it years ago. Cervical cell changes due to HPV normally takes years after the initial infection before it's detecable during a pap. Pap only tests for cervical changes due to HPV, it does not look for the actual virus in your body.

There is a chance that your husband had it prior to meeing you and gave it to you, or you could have picked it up from a partner before meeting your husband. Unfortunately you will never know where it came from, unless you were a virgin prior to marriage. HPV is the most common STD out there and often times men will carry and pass this along without the obvious symptom of genital warts.

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Helpful Resources

Be the first to post a Resource!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.