Skip to content
My WebMD Sign In, Sign Up

Announcements

Useful Links!
Help Our Community Answer Your Questions Better By Including In Your Post: Gender, Have You Been Tested For An STD Yet?
Type Of STD Tests and Results? Any Medications To Control Your STD?

In shock and very depressed...
Doug123 posted:
I am a 40 SWM. Just returned from a long vacation where I was with a girl I care about. We did have unprotected sex and she did perform oral (I know this was stupid). 2 days after returning (Monday) it started to sting when I pee'd. By thursday morning, while showering, I felt two red bumps below my belly button in my 'boxer region'. Went to the doctor that day and told of my exploits but never mentioned the two bumps, so only a urine test and blood work for white counts were done. Said my count was high but the urine was negative. Put me on Zithromax for 10 days and Cipro for one day. By Sunday, the two red bumps had crusted over and turned white and also the pain during urination was worse. Tuesday, I the bumps had formed black scabs on them so I scheduled another dr visit for wednesday. Wednesday morning I noticed a 3 red bump in the same row as the other two (all a half an inch apart). Saw my PCP and he said it looked like herpes. He did a swab test, urine, and blood. Said my white cell count was back down but wouldn't know results for herpes until following monday but he was pretty sure it was herpes. Put me on Famciclovir 500mg 3xday for 7 days. Scared all weekend. Monday morning my fears became reality. But they only said it was positive for herpes.

First, I have been trying to get back in touch with the dr as I do not know what to do now. The pain has decreased during urination but only modestly, as I have this tingling sensation throughout the length of my urethra. Can feel it all the time. Lower back pain and pain in my legs. My Famciclovir runs out today and I am still waiting for the dr to call me back.

Also, I am frozen in fear, shame, and depression. I know what I did was stupid, but I am now here. I have been reading as much as I can but it only makes me more scared of the future. Having to live with this for the rest of my life.

If anyone can help me, I would appreciate. So scared that I have spent the last 3 days home from work because of my depression.

Doug123 responded:
Recent update. The dr just called me to follow up. He said it did test positive for type II. Told him my current conditions of wierd tingling through length of my urethra and he asked how the sores looked (still black scabbed on all four of my bumps). He told me he was going to extend my Famciclovir for 2 weeks at 2xday. Mentioned that it is not good to take medications everyday for life and that he wants to see how my body reacts after medication. That the body needs to build up antibodies to combat this on it's own for less frequent and less severe future outbreaks.

Still very scared and freaked out. Trying to find a therapist that I can talk with about the mental aspect of what I am going through.

I mentioned to my dr that he only tested me for herpes, gonnorhea, clamydia, and that he never tested for HIV. He made a comment that I may be getting ahead of myself and to be calm.

So freaked out.

abe648 replied to Doug123's response:
You should ask your provider to give you a R/x for a subsequent ob so that you do not have to call him to get R/x once you realize that you have another ob. That way you can take the R/x as soon as you feel a full blown ob coming on.

When it comes to dealing with herpes it is not a big deal. I know that this may not sound right but it is really easy to deal with. I would urge you to google "Herpes Support Groups" on Yahoo and if there is one in your area make arrangements to go to the next meeting. That way you will not need have to pay for a professional to help you get through this.

Read the info in my signature line. Terri Warren's Book is a good source of info as well.
Abe ... Read more in the Herpes Handbook. Watch the Herpes Video and Terri Warren's book The Good News about the Bad News. All located under the heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

DanB2013 responded:
sorry to hear that, you should get fenvir, will be clear in 3 days with no more outbreaks

Doug123 replied to abe648's response:
Thanks abe648. I picked up the follow up prescription my dr gave me but have not started it. The lesion scabs have all dropped and only red flat spots where the lesions were remain. The stinging has dramatically decreased but still have the tingling sensation throughout the length of my urethra. I have also read Terri Warren's Herpes Handbook.

I have many questions and wonder if you could provide some help. First, I have read that some people prefer not to medicate at all as they want their body to build it's own 'fighters' for outbreaks. Is there any truth to this belief? Terri mentioned in her book that medicating outbreaks has no bearing on severity of future outbreaks. So curious if the opposite is true?

Also, in having HSV2, is it still possible to get HSV1?

Lastly, seems reoccurrence outbreaks vary widely for people both in severity, length, and number per year. I cannot find an average typical expecation of outbreaks. Any insights, and follow up to that would be given your long experience with H, how and what do you do to deal with outbreaks?

Thanks.

abe648 replied to Doug123's response:
I went without proper meds for 17 years as my Doc would not give me a R/x for herpes. The Doc even did not test me. He gave me a visual diagnosis. So it was not till 2007 when I found WebMD that I went to a walk-in clinic and got properly tested and got Valtrex and then after that I started using Valacyclovir which is the generic of Valtrix. So I do not know if it is better to medicate or not. Since I have started taking Valacyclovir I have had only two full ob's in the first year. I do get the odd time when I can feel an Ob coming so i just up the meds like the Herpes Handbook says. I think that I am blessed to have so few ob's. Even with meds I think that people can get 2-4o ob's per year. Some even may get more.

At age 40 you may have HSV 1 as many people have HSV 1 and do not even know it. I would recommend that you get a Type Specific igg blood test for HSV 1 to know your status. I think you could still get HSv 1 but the odds would be less as you already have antibodies built up in your system.

I would recommend that you talk to your Doc about the tingling feeling in your urethra this should go away with time but I would still talk to the Doc to see what he thinks about the tingling. I never did have a in my urethra but then again you could be different. It seems that everyone has some differences when it comes to G herpes.

One can have a lot of ob's with out suppressive therapy I had a lot of ob's every year. Yet my wife still does not have HSV 2 and we did not use a lot of condoms. I would guess that I may have gone through 4-5 dozen in our marriage. I also still do not have HSV 1 even though my wife has HSV 1.

I do use suppressive therapy as noted above on a daily basis and that has worked well for me.
Abe ... Read more in the Herpes Handbook. Watch the Herpes Video and Terri Warren's book The Good News about the Bad News. All located under the heading Herpes at http://www.westoverheights.com/

Helpful Tips

Be the first to post a Tip!

Related News

There was an error with this newsfeed

Related Drug Reviews

• Drug Name User Reviews

Report Problems With Your Medications to the FDA

FDAYou are encouraged to report negative side effects of prescription drugs to the FDA. Visit the FDA MedWatch website or call 1-800-FDA-1088.